Netflix’s The Devil Next Door is ‘haunting’ and the ‘best true crime ever’

‘The most gripping thing I’ve watched in years’

Hide Images

Netflix has just released a new true crime documentary called The Devil Next Door. And almost every The Devil Next Door review describes it as one of the most incredible and harrowing stories people have ever heard.

The five-part docuseries is all about the true story of John Demjanjuk, a man accused of being a Nazi concentration camp officer who enabled the deaths of thousands of Jews during the Holocaust.

John is a Ukrainian-American immigrant who lived in Cleveland, Ohio with his wife and daughter. Then 11 survivors of the Holocaust believed he was living a double life, and was actually “Ivan the Terrible” – a notorious guard at a Nazi death camp.

The documentary contains interviews with John’s family members, prosecution and defence teams, as well as footage from his highly-publicised trial.

John Demjanjuk in Netflix’s The Devil Next Door

The Netflix synopsis for the show reads: “A Cleveland grandfather is brought to trial in Israel, accused of being the infamous Nazi death camp guard known as Ivan the Terrible”.

One The Devil Next Door review said: “I’m watching The Devil Next Door on Netflix and I think this might be the most gripping thing I’ve watched in years. It’s a documentary that’s a mini series and it’s amazing”. Other reviews have called it “harrowing” and “heartbreaking”.

Another The Devil Next Door review reads: “Netflix does it again. The Devil Next Door ?”, whilst another says it is “riveting, thought provoking and unmissable”.

Other Twitter users have said it is 10/10 and would recommend and another reaction read“The Devil Next Door is a superlative crime documentary on Netflix. It’s the most disturbing real life courtroom thriller of all time that will keep all your senses engaged throughout. You can’t afford to miss a second of it. ‘The Devil Next Door’ is a war crime masterpiece.”

Watch the trailer for The Devil Next Door on Netflix here:

The Devil Next Door is available to stream on Netflix now.