Richard Gadd theory Baby Reindeer

Richard Gadd shares theory on why Martha was crying when she entered pub in Baby Reindeer

This makes it 10 times creepier

When Donny first meets Martha in Baby Reindeer she is sat down at the bar in floods of tears, and Richard Gadd who plays Donny has now shared his theory on why Martha was crying, and it’s so eerie.

During an interview about Baby Reindeer, Richard Gadd was asked if he ever found out why Martha came into the pub that day and started her obsession with him, and he has his own theory. He explained that whilst he didn’t know 100 per cent why she came in, he thought: “No but I questioned it all of the time. I wondered if it was the end of her stalking relationship with someone else and the start of it with me.”

Via Netflix

Richard also shared that reliving his own experiences for Baby Reindeer gave him the ability to “dwarf the magnitude” of his trauma. Talking to The Independent, Richard discussed how he sometimes thought if he deserved the experience and at times felt like he “egged the situation on.” He explained: “I certainly egged the situation on before I realised that it was as dangerous as it was. I behaved like a prick at times.”

I can’t emphasise enough how much of a victim she is in all this,” he said. “When we think of stalkers, we always think of films like Misery and Fatal Attraction, where the stalker is a monstrous figure in the night down an alleyway. But usually, it’s a prior relationship or someone you know or a work colleague.” He also said that her behaviour was due to mental illness and said: “It would have been wrong to paint her as a monster, because she’s unwell, and the system’s failed her.”

Baby Reindeer is available on Netflix now – For more like this article on everything Richard Gadd has said about his theory on stalker Martha and all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.