Netflix new doc Who Killed Little Gregory? is ‘straight out of a horror movie’

The documentary tells the true story of a murdered child

Hide Images

Netflix has just released its latest true crime documentary, Who Killed Little Gregory?

The five-part documentary series tells the real life story of a four-year-old boy who was found dead in a river in France. Grégory Villemin was found around 7km from his home in the Vologne River near Docelles. He died on October 16th 1984.

The Netflix synopsis for the show reads: “When their four-year-old son is murdered, a young couple fights a twisting and arduous battle trying to identify a frustratingly elusive killer.”

Gregory’s family were at the centre of the investigation, via Netflix

Episode one looks at the creepy phone calls and letters the family were getting from Gregory’s killer in the years leading up to his death. The calls came from a male threatening revenge against Gregory’s father, Jean-Marie Villemin.

Investigators and Gregory’s parents straight away believed the killer was a family member, as they seemed to know internal family secrets. The first episode also looks at what happened when Gregory was found and the investigation began.

If you have the stomach to carry on after episode one, the limited series looks into how suspicion between family members arises and investigators on the case change.

The documentary is listed as a “limited series” meaning it looks at the entire case from start to finish – with all the information known to date.

Nobody has been convicted for the murder of Gregory. The killer, dubbed “The Raven”, has never been found.

His family received letters and calls from the killer, via Netflix

Tweets about the docuseries sum up how creepy yet fascinating this case is.

One said: “Just watched Who Killed Little Gregory in one day and I am immensely frustrated and sad”, another said: “Just finished ‘Who Killed Little Gregory’ on Netflix, one of the most fascinating and bizarre (in the extreme) documentaries I have ever watched. A murder of an innocent child, turned into a tragic circus.”

More reviews of the show include: “Who Killed Little Gregory is the most horrifying true crime documentary I’ve ever watched. People are evil. This world is ugly”, “Tried to watch Who Killed Little Gregory on Netflix and had to turn it off cos it gave me the fear so much”.

One more added: “Just finished Who Killed Little Gregory on Netflix. This story is straight out of a horror movie. The investigators botched the case from the beginning. Could not believe one of the lead detectives described the grieving mother’s attire as sexy.”

Watch the trailer for Who Killed Little Gregory here:

Who Killed Little Gregory is available to stream on Netflix now.