David Tennant to become chilling serial killer in new true crime drama

He plays a man who killed 15 people

David Tennant is taking on the role of a chilling serial killer for his latest TV role. The drama, called Des, will air on ITV in the new year.

He will play the notorious Dennis Nilsen, who was a serial killer said to have confessed to killing 15 men in London between the years of 1978 and 1983. He targeted gay and homeless men and would get them drunk before he killed them.

Nilsen was imprisoned for life in 1983 and died in jail in 2018, when he was aged 78. The three part true crime series is all about his arrest and then the criminal trial.

ITV has just released a first look at David Tennant as the killer in the series:

Des ITV, David Tennant, Des, ITV, new, series, drama, crime, release date, first look, pictures, cast, plot, story

David Tennant in Des ITV

The drama will also cast Jason Watson (Harold Wilson in The Crown) as mass murderer biographer Brian Masters and Daniel Mays (Line Of Duty) will play Detective Chief inspector, Peter Jay.

TV head of drama Polly Hill said: “This drama starts with Nilsen’s arrest and is looking at him through the eyes of the police officer trying to identify those he killed and deliver justice.

“David Tennant is going to be brilliant as Dennis Nilsen and with Daniel Mays as Jay and Jason Watkins as Brian, this has an incredible cast to bring this story to screen and we are delighted to be making this with New Pictures for ITV.”

When will Des be available to watch on ITV?

Des has not yet been given an exact release date but it expected to air on ITV in 2020.