Don’t F**k With Cats’ Luke Magnotta is married in a prison he says is like uni

The Netflix documentary has brought his life back into the spotlight

| UPDATED Hide Images

Netflix recently released was is being described as a “graphic” and “twisted” true crime documentary called “Don’t F**k With Cats”. It’s all about the crimes and following manhunt of Canadian killer, Luka Magnotta.

And despite everything, it looks like Luka’s life now isn’t all that bad. So who is he? And where is Luke Magnotta now? Here is everything we know about him these days.

TW: This article contains details of animal abuse and murder.

Who is Luka Magnotta?

Luka Magnotta is the killer new Netflix documentary Don’t F**k With Cats is based on. He was known as the “vacuum kitten killer”.

Luka Rocco Magnotta was born as Eric Clinton Kirk Newman on July 24th 1982 in Ontario, Canada. He is the eldest of three children from his parents, Anna Yourkin and Donald Newman. According to Luka he had a difficult childhood. His mother was said to be obsessed with cleanliness and would routinely lock her children out of the house and once put their pet rabbits out in the cold to freeze to death. Luka’s father was diagnosed with schizophrenia in 1994 and then he divorced Luka’s mother. Luka Magnotta then moved in with his grandmother, Phyllis.

During his life Luka Magnotta has worked as a model and a sex worker. He appeared in porn videos and worked as a stripper. He has also been a pin-up model. He’s had multiple cosmetic surgery procedures during his life and auditioned for the television show Plastic Makes Perfect.

Luka Magnotta, Netflix

The crimes explored in Don’t F**k With Cats aren’t the first Luka has committed. In 2005 he was convicted of one count of impersonation and three counts of fraud after he pretended to be a woman applying for a credit card and spent thousands of dollars. He pleaded guilty and served nine months. It was after this incident that he changed his name from Eric Clinton Kirk Newman to Luka Rocco Magnotta.

Luka’s first killing video came in 2010 and was called “one boy two kittens”. It showed him torturing and killing two cats. The video was posted online and before long there was an internet manhunt underway. He then posted two further videos, both of him killing kittens.

He would also upload slideshow videos of pictures of himself to YouTube:

It was in 2012 when Luka turned to killing humans as well.  “One lunatic one ice pick” was posted online in May of that year, which showed him killing Chinese student Jun Lin after they met on a gay dating site.

The Don’t F**k With Cats documentary follows the crimes and the internet manhunt for Luka.

Where is Luka Magnotta now?

After the videos, there was an arrest warrant out for Luka under the following crimes: first degree murder, committing an indignity to a dead body, publishing obscene material, mailing obscene, indecent, immoral or scurrilous material and criminally harassing Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper and several unnamed other members of Parliament.

He was finally caught by police in an internet cafe in Berlin. He was found reading news stories about himself. He was charged with all five crimes he was wanted for and convicted of them all on December 23rd 2014.

Luka in a police interview, Netflix

Luka Magnotta is currently serving a life sentence with no possibility of parole. He is being held at Archambault Institution, Quebec. 

In 2016, he got married to fellow inmate Anthony Jolin, who he met on Canadian Inmates Connect – which is a prisoner dating website. According to the Toronto Sun, Magnotta joined the site in 2015 and was hoping to connect with a “prince charming” who was “white, in good shape, between 28 and 38 years old.” Luka Magnotta’s mum, Anna Yourkin, was a witness at the wedding ceremony.

Jolin is also a convicted killer. He is serving a life sentence and reports say he was in prison previously for crimes such as robbery and he killed a teenage girl who planned to testify against him. It has also been reported that he and another prisoner killed another inmate in 2003.

Luka has compared his life in prison to a university lifestyle. In letters obtained by Toronto Sun in 2015, Magnotta wrote: “Our doors are open 90 per cent of the time so for me I feel like I’m in a university setting. I just bought Celine Dion’s album and a lot of others. I have a stereo and a portable for when I suntan outside.”

He reportedly also talks about playing hockey and tennis, as well as being sent chocolate on Valentine’s Day from admirers. He is said to have complained about the amount of chocolate in the facility which was ruining his diet, describing arguments breaking out over Ferrero Rocher.

Don’t F**k With Cats is available on Netflix now. Warning: It is graphic and disturbing.