Every reason why we need International Women’s Day

And why we should continue its message on every other day of the year

Hide Images

With today being International Women’s Day, it is only appropriate that we talk about it. This years theme is ‘Be Bold for Change’ and is encouraging people to stand up for equality so that it can happen sooner rather than later. IWD is the perfect chance to show support and bring attention to this, to hopefully accelerate and promote this change.

For those who are unconvinced, here are some reasons why we need a day like this.

Because things like this are still happening

Whether you agree with Emma Watson’s ideas and actions or not, the fact that feminism gets reactions like this shows how much we need to be acting for our rights and opportunities. Also, you can do whatever you want with your boobs.

Because women and girls are the most affected by poverty.

Statistics show that currently, the gender gap will not close until 2186. This is because women are more likely to be denied access to education, to work and to lead in roles they hold (Oxfam 2017). Also, women make up the majority of the world’s low paid workers and are in the most precarious jobs (United Nations 2015).

Because where women are in the same jobs as men, there is STILL a substantial pay gap. 

Women are still paid less than men for doing the same job globally. In Britain, the current overall gap for full time workers is 13.9% (Fawcett 2017). In the US it is 20% less (AAUW 2017)  . This is something which is deeply embedded in discrimination and preconceptions of what women are capable of, which usually come from men.

Case in point:

Because women are more at risk of violence in all forms. 

In both global north and south women suffer more from all forms of sexual and physical violence. 35% of women worldwide have experienced physical and/or sexual violence at some point in their lives.  They are also more exposed to individual and widespread acts of gender violence (Oxfam 2017).

Because we are still living with constricting gender norms and binaries.

With the state the world is in currently, everyone should be allowed to cry.

Because women are diverse and inequality does not end with gender.

Although International Women’s Day is in place for all women, they do not face the same struggle. The fact that there is diversity in women’s inequality is something which needs to be realised and appreciated in order for it to be tackled. Women cannot achieve equality on a whole if we are fighting different problems in the same way.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRX5Xublzhy/?tagged=intersectionality&hl=en

Because a dialogue which celebrates equality for women also promotes equality for all. 

By starting a dialogue surrounding inequality, it opens the door for other issues to be discussed and encouraged to progress. By attempting to break down gender binaries, norms, boundaries and discrimination, it gives way for everybody to express their struggle.

Because we need to promote and encourage women to speak out.

Although support from everyone is encouraged, women need to be the leaders of their own emancipation. They need to feel empowered in order to stand up for themselves to alter their current position. Change can only come if women realise themselves that they deserve more than they currently are getting. We need to be setting the example that others, who will be our supporters and peers, can follow.

Lastly, because women are strong, powerful, beautiful and intelligent. They need an equal chance to show that. 

To find out more about International Women’s Day visit the website: https://www.internationalwomensday.com/ and let them know which way you are going to be bold for change.