Grad Ball will be held at the O2 Guildhall, tickets to cost £48

DJ Fresh is the only confirmed act, alongside ‘Dodgems’ and a ‘Shooting Gallery’

SUSU have released the first details for this year’s much-anticipated Grad Ball.

While there is still little information regarding the lineup of acts, DJ Fresh has been confirmed as the first act, and is described on the event’s website as a “headliner”.

Southampton’s O2 Guildhall looking dramatic

The site’s reveal also confirmed this year’s venue would be the O2 Guildhall, one of the two major venues in Southampton capable of holding the Grad Ball’s capacity.

The switch in venue comes after last year’s event was slated by some students, who claimed SUSU were forcing them to spend the £50 ticket price on a “glorified night at Oceana”.

Following the heavy criticism, Union President Ben Franklin set up a Grad Ball committee in an attempt to win over students by “getting them involved in the whole process”.

Franklin said of the reveal “Graduation Ball is the biggest night of the Students’ Union’s calendar and, arguably, a students’ entire University career.

“Marking the end of their University experience and the beginning of their future, it’s a chance to celebrate all of their achievements with the friends they have made over their three or more years in Southampton.”

The ticket price has also been confirmed at £48.

Second year Law student Harry said “It’s still expensive but I’d rather pay that for the Guildhall than for Oceana”.

James, third year English said he was “willing to forgive anything for the fact that it’s not at Oceana”.

The main set of  headlining acts and theme has yet to be confirmed, but a countdown on the site before the reveal suggested the theme would be based on “having fun with your friends”, as opposed to past themes such as Masquerade and Harry Potter.