Grad Ball: A price worth paying?

Is it all it’s hyped up to be? On the 8th of June, 2,500 students will be attending SUSU’s “biggest annual event in the SUSU calendar”- the Grad Ball. But […]

Is it all it’s hyped up to be?

On the 8th of June, 2,500 students will be attending SUSU’s “biggest annual event in the SUSU calendar”- the Grad Ball. But is the £50 price tag justifiable?

A University Graduation Ball is a grand opportunity for finalists to let their hair down after three or four years of slaving away, but isn’t Southampton’s “glitzy” event just a glorified replica of the student night at the run-of-the-mill Oceana?

The theme of ‘Music Through The Ages’ sounds appealing, until you remember that this the norm in Oceana on a Wednesday night.

The only difference is that a few guest acts will be replacing those TOWIE celebrities so famous that we feel obliged to have selfies with them out of sympathy.

Previous years have seen students stating preference over which guests will perform at the Grad Ball, seeing top-drawer stars take to the Oceana stage such as Pendulum and Ella Eyre.

But this year, students haven’t had this pleasure, and the line-up is, quite honestly, shocking.

Among the acts set to grace the stage at this year’s Grad Ball will be the hit-maker Katy B, Labrinth, who made his name back in 2010 but now belongs on Heart FM, Basshunter who was a coming-to-nothing, B*Witched who had one incredibly irritating single, and various tribute acts.

Surely for £50 a head, SUSU can do better than this.

In this light, spending £50 on a glorified Oceana night out seems to be pushing it a little.

This brings to our attention an issue that has recently been brewing – that is the lack of communication between SUSU and its students, the notion that people are falling out of love with SUSU.

Whereas at other University Grad Balls, such as Warwick, a three-course sit-down dinner is provided, the Grad Ball will offer an array of extortionate junk-food stalls located in the car park.

I suppose this saves the effort of having to stumble across to McDonalds…

Let’s be honest- SUSU has failed to make this year’s Grad Ball what the graduating students want.

But, then again, there is something to be said for the fact that it is one of the final blow outs of our university life before entering the real world.

Prasana Uthayakumar, an ex-Engineering student who graduated in 2014, told us:

Loads of people complained about the price in my year before the grad ball. People even said they were going to boycott and not buy their tickets.

But it’s one of those events you only realise its value after the night; celebrating the end of an era with some of the best mates you’ve made at uni is priceless.

And if you don’t fancy forking out £50, there are other cheaper events such as Common People or the Boat Party to see off the University years in style.

Is Grad Ball a rip-off? Or is it worth it for a final blowout? Let us know in the comments below.