ONE PUB TO RULE THEM ALL: Hobbit beats Hollywood

THEY SHALL NOT PASSS!!!!! The Hobbit might have won the war for Middle Earth (well Bevois Valley at least)

The Tab can confirm that the Hobbit pub has been SAVED. It appears that Saul Zaentz’s Nazgul scare tactics have been ineffective in conquering the Southampton landmark.

As first reported by The Tab, the Hobbit’s bosses were told by lawyers to change every reference to the Lord of the Rings films and would face legal action. However the man himself, Saul Zaentz, has agreed for the Portswood boozer to keep its title for an annual fee of around $100 (£63).

Radio Solent came down to officially break the good news.

With famous faces such as Stephen Fry, Sir Ian McKellen and Neil Gaiman backing the campaign, celebrity influence has been crucial in winning this fight. The facebook group ‘Save The Hobbit‘ has gained nearly 50,000 likes in under a week, just proving how bullying a small pub into changing it’s whole nature is not acceptable. On hearing the good news, one student said:

$100 dollars is a pretty good compromise. With such a lot of support against Saul it shows there is humanity in Southampton after all

Saul "Sauron" Zaentz

We popped down for a chat with landlady Stella Roberts this evening and she was overwhelmed with the amount of support received, commenting:

We’re so pleased with the outcome, but still not sure what this $100 dollars covers, hopefully we’ll be able to keep everything as it is. The tremendous amount of support for the pub has been amazing, even Gandalf himself is coming down for a drink when he’s finished filming [The Hobbit movie]

The story has travelled internationally, being reported in Australia, Russia, the US and even Middle Earth itself, well not quite.

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

Rebrand: The Logo, the Process and the Reputational Risks

The response to students’ concerns about the rebrand has been patronizing and undemocratic

, Soton Social Editor of The Tab

Clubbing at home is awful now I’ve experienced uni clubbing

Why should I pay £7.10 for a vodka cranberry

, Soton Varsity Editor of The Tab

‘Macfest’ car crash victim was TWO TIMES over the drunk driving limit

£18,000 has been raised in his memory along with a planned music festival

, Features Editor

Everything Mizz magazine taught us about life in our twenties

Mum thought Sugar and Bliss were too sexy

Review: The best supermarket gin and tonic tins

Because there’s more to life than Gordon’s

and

NUS disaffiliation: The story so far

Three SUs have voted to disaffiliate and three have to remain

The best cheap supermarket prosecco, according to a wine expert

‘This one tastes like it’s been left in the fridge for a week’

, TabTv producer, The Tab Trent

How to be single

There’s an art to it

Which Made In Chelsea character are you?

Imagine if you were Funda