Meet the King’s fashion blogger with over 12,000 Instagram followers

She’s beaut

Since starting her blog in 2015, Faye Fearon has become a rising star in the world of fashion. Her Instagram has amassed over 12,000 followers and she’s mingled with the likes of Alexa Chung. We chatted to the KCL campus it-girl.

Can you give us a quick summary of what it is you do?

Outside of studying at King’s I run my own fashion blog, where I post about everything that interests me in the fashion industry. Here I showcase my style, review collections and exhibitions, collaborate with brands and share my own fashion photography.

What achievements are you most proud of from fashion blogging?

My most recent post was celebrating a year of blogging, so I think to have established my own personal website with my own style, writing and photography in the course of a year is definitely a proud achievement for me!

How old were you when you first discovered fashion and how did you decide you wanted to pursue it?

I’ve been interested in fashion for most of my life as I’d always admire my mum’s style. There was always a new edition of Vogue in my house, and the more I read it, the more I knew that I wanted to work in fashion.

Moving to London was the perfect reason to pursue it for me as it’s a fashion capital and there’s so much opportunity here! It’s had a great influence on my blogging, as I can always explore its ongoing fashion events, as well as meet people who share the same passion as me.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMcOIF0jR7w/?taken-by=fayeisabella&hl=en

What is your top tip for balancing uni with blogging?

Maintaining a steady balance of both. Uni is a priority for me, but uploading one blog post a week is always my aim. I find that if I have a plan of what I’m going to post each week, I can efficiently create and upload the content with much more ease. It’s important to feel like you’re in control of both, so having a schedule is key for me in keeping both things well balanced!

What is your favourite memory from fashion blogging and why?

Fashion blogging has really enhanced my interest in photography, so being able to blog about my photographic experiences at Fashion Week has been incredible. It also allows me to meet many influencers in the fashion industry who I’ve long admired, which is always a surreal experience.

I recently attended a collection launch party for Boux Avenue as I’m a current ambassador for them, so that was a really cool experience too!

What aspect of fashion blogging do you love the most?

I have always loved being creative, so I think bringing all aspects of a post together, from editing photos to writing down my thoughts, and then finally pressing the ‘publish’ button is the part I love the most! I have quite a simple, minimalist theme to my blog, so I like to emphasise my creative skills through the photography and content that I upload.

Creating this and bringing this together for people to see is definitely my favourite part.

What advice do you have for those who want to start a blog or get their foot in the door with the fashion industry?

Starting a blog initially seems incredibly intimidating, but if it’s something you want to do you should just try it. My first post was a review of a Chanel exhibition that I visited, so I think that finding something you are really interested in is the perfect starting point. I’ve found that people respond really well when you showcase your own voice, so establishing this is really important from the beginning.

In regards to the fashion industry, I think that showing a great understanding of the industry and having determination for your desired sector is key. Carrying out work experience and internships for your chosen field is really important too.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKbYMl7D2s6/?taken-by=fayeisabella&hl=en

What trend are you most excited to see this autumn/winter?

My favourite A/W collection this year was definitely Saint Laurent, as Slimane took classic wardrobe pieces and infused them with sheer eighties glam for his final collection. From exaggerated shoulder tailoring to tight fitted mini dresses, this collection was one of the many that has set a powerful and chic eighties trend for this season.

The clothes are bold and more suited for evening wear, with defining decorative accessories from big buckle belts to fishnet tights. I think that this trend is going to be really apparent this season, especially in Topshop who hinted at it in their own AW16 Unique collection with sharp shouldered blazers and patent leather loop belts. I’m very excited to see it across the streets of London!

What do you believe is the biggest fashion faux pas somebody could commit?

I think too much print. In terms of style, I typically veer towards simple, classic, and well tailored pieces which are mostly black and white. I think that a print or pattern can look great as one statement piece of an outfit, but wearing more than this is a little too much, in my opinion.

You can find Faye on her blog or Instagram. She’s definitely one to watch.