Um

ABI BENNETT wishes UM had been a bit more decisive.

Corpus Playroom, 8th October, 9.30pm, £5

Dir. Ben Pope

Imagine Boris Johnson, Dylan Moran and Jimmy Carr combined, and you’ve got a good idea of Ben Pope’s stand-up style. The audience were hugely welcoming, seemingly made up entirely of friends and family, with the odd reviewer strewn here and there. This was lucky, considering Pope’s nerves occasionally threatened to get the best of him. Granted, this was his first ever solo show. But I did wonder occasionally whether it would have been as enjoyable without such an encouraging audience.

Pope has a lovely turn of phrase – beautiful one-liners trip off his tongue. His poetically comic style is, however, at times threatened by his speed of delivery: had Pope occasionally slowed down a bit, instead of speeding on to the next joke, we would have better appreciated his comedic nuggets. The verbal overkill also sometimes undermined the beauty of his phrases, which was a shame.

Though Pope’s style and linguistic ability are winning, his choice of topics just isn’t. X-factor, Justin Bieber, tourists, posh people, romantic conquests, dogs, babies. We’ve been here many times before. This lack of daring and adventurousness here eant an air of déjà-vu to the whole evening. If the same inventiveness and imagination had been applied to his subject choice as to his linguistic choices, everyone would have had more fun.

Unfortunately, there is a similar lack of consideration regarding the structure of the show. There is no sense of climax: just topic, topic, and topic, ad infinitum. Without a sense of momentum sweeping us along, the show grew a bit tiring, and eventually just petered out. Pope also lost his way a bit in the middle, when his stories descended into a series of impressions or observations with no narrative drive. This would have been fine, had the impressions or observations been original and interesting. They weren’t.

This all sounds like I didn’t enjoy the evening, but I did, I just thought it was a shame that Pope’s obvious comedic potential hadn’t been fulfilled. Once he’s got his nerves under control, and gained enough confidence to expand his horizons, he could be a great performer. There were flashes of brilliance, where even the stoniest faced of audience member was forced to laugh, but these didn’t come often enough to merit anything more than three stars. Overall, it was comedy in macaroni cheese form: comforting, but ultimately undemanding.

Heard something newsworthy?

, Cambridge Editor

Tab’s BIGGEST BNOCs: Special Mentions + Top 50

We promise to stop milking this stupid idea after this article. Really.

Student produces documentary protesting against college food

Ron Mulvey was just a disillusioned student. Now he is the voice of hundreds of students.

Everything you’ll understand if you don’t like football

What is an accumulator and how do I get my hands on one?

and

The undiscovered genius of tapered tracksuit trousers

It’s like your legs are the wafer in a Kit Kat

Netflix has announced release dates for several big shows

House of Cards and Orange is the New Black are coming back

Valentine’s with your BFF is much better

People are calling it Galentine’s

, Chief Reporter

How to blag your way through the Super Bowl, according to a proper American

‘The thing about Denver Broncos is they always try and walk it in’

, Features Editor

What’s the best month to have your birthday?

It’s your princess day