Fitz Robbers get 18 years

The four men found guilty of stealing from the Fitz have been jailed.

The four men who burgled the Fitzwilliam Museum earlier this year have been jailed for a combined 18 years.

Martin Simos, the 15 year old who took part in the robbery, escaped with just a four-month detention and training order, whilst custodial sentences were dished out to the other criminals.

Steven Coughlan, 25, Robert Smith, and an unnamed third man were each given 6 years inside after pleading guilty to the break-in which took place in April.

The scene of the crime

Police have not recovered any of the £15million pound haul which was taken in the heist, which targeted Chinese jade carvings from the Qing, Qianlong and Ming eras.

It was originally thought that the artifacts were stolen ‘to order’ and will already have found homes back in China.

Some of the stolen items

Det Chief Insp Jim McCrorie said: “Today’s sentencing follows a large scale operation and a great deal of work to ensure those involved in this burglary were caught and convicted.

“Sadly the items, which are of huge cultural significance, have still not been traced but we remain committed to following any new lines of enquiry that could lead to their recovery.”

In the aftermath of the theft questions were raised about the security of the Museum, which had did not have its silent alarm linked to the police, allowing the thieves to leave unnoticed.

@Jonny_Singer
Get the best of The Tab on our app.

, Cambridge Editor

BREAKING: NUS employee breaks referendum rules

Tsk tsk NUS.

BREAKING: Record breaking turnout for NUS Referendum so far

CUSU Coordinator confirms that DSO referendum turnout exceeded after just one day of voting

The NUS can’t be reformed from within

Do you hate anti-Semitism so much that you want to stay in the NUS and fight against it?

Can you guess the price of these Waitrose ‘Essentials’?

You paid how much for Ardennes Pâté?

, Argument Editor

Forget London, I’m moving to Bath

It’s better in every single way

,        

The definitive list of all the most annoying people in the world

This is really, really long

,        

The world’s biggest bouncy castle is going to be at Bestival

Yeah, you’ll probably fall off