Fitz Robbers get 18 years

By on

Facebook Twitter

The four men found guilty of stealing from the Fitz have been jailed.

The four men who burgled the Fitzwilliam Museum earlier this year have been jailed for a combined 18 years.

Martin Simos, the 15 year old who took part in the robbery, escaped with just a four-month detention and training order, whilst custodial sentences were dished out to the other criminals.

Steven Coughlan, 25, Robert Smith, and an unnamed third man were each given 6 years inside after pleading guilty to the break-in which took place in April.

The scene of the crime

Police have not recovered any of the £15million pound haul which was taken in the heist, which targeted Chinese jade carvings from the Qing, Qianlong and Ming eras.

It was originally thought that the artifacts were stolen ‘to order’ and will already have found homes back in China.

Some of the stolen items

Det Chief Insp Jim McCrorie said: “Today’s sentencing follows a large scale operation and a great deal of work to ensure those involved in this burglary were caught and convicted.

“Sadly the items, which are of huge cultural significance, have still not been traced but we remain committed to following any new lines of enquiry that could lead to their recovery.”

In the aftermath of the theft questions were raised about the security of the Museum, which had did not have its silent alarm linked to the police, allowing the thieves to leave unnoticed.

Facebook Twitter
Heard something on campus?

By on

The beginning of the end for the NHS?

The NHS is terminally ill. Jeremy Hunt’s latest plans to stretch junior doctors to their mortal limits could send Britain’s national treasure six feet under.

By , Tab reporter on

Working at the Freshers’ Fair is Awful

We suffer for your freebies.

By , Senior Tab reporter on

An interview with The Footlights

The Tab sits down with tour show director Ken Cheng and performers Adrian Gray, Archie Henderson and Eleanor Colville to talk about freshers, being funny and their new show.

By , Chief Reporter on

One of The Apprentice contestants is a grad set to take the show by storm

She claims to have got the highest mark on her Business Studies course

By , Former Editor, The Tab London on

London Public school boys should feel guilty about a lot of things but listening to dubstep isn’t one of them

It’s time to welcome the Skepta-loving rich list in from the cold

By , Chief Reporter on

Twin model crashed car after drink driving at 10 in the morning

Both twins were previously handed ASBOs because of their wild parties

By , Chief Reporter on

Private school makes you a boring clone of your mum and dad

Going to the same Russell Group unis to do the same subjects makes you a robot, apparently

By on

Milo Yiannopoulos: It’s absurd that I was banned from speaking at Manchester SU

You guys, I feel very oppressed right now

By , Assistant Editor on

It’s time someone said it: Medics are the worst people at uni

‘You wouldn’t understand, you’re not one of us’