Fitz Robbers get 18 years

The four men found guilty of stealing from the Fitz have been jailed.

The four men who burgled the Fitzwilliam Museum earlier this year have been jailed for a combined 18 years.

Martin Simos, the 15 year old who took part in the robbery, escaped with just a four-month detention and training order, whilst custodial sentences were dished out to the other criminals.

Steven Coughlan, 25, Robert Smith, and an unnamed third man were each given 6 years inside after pleading guilty to the break-in which took place in April.

The scene of the crime

Police have not recovered any of the £15million pound haul which was taken in the heist, which targeted Chinese jade carvings from the Qing, Qianlong and Ming eras.

It was originally thought that the artifacts were stolen ‘to order’ and will already have found homes back in China.

Some of the stolen items

Det Chief Insp Jim McCrorie said: “Today’s sentencing follows a large scale operation and a great deal of work to ensure those involved in this burglary were caught and convicted.

“Sadly the items, which are of huge cultural significance, have still not been traced but we remain committed to following any new lines of enquiry that could lead to their recovery.”

In the aftermath of the theft questions were raised about the security of the Museum, which had did not have its silent alarm linked to the police, allowing the thieves to leave unnoticed.

@Jonny_Singer
Get the best of The Tab on our app.

, Cambridge Deputy Editor

BREAKING: CUSU passes motion for NUS referendum

FINALLY we have an answer.

How to attend a supervision without doing any of the work

Hungover? Tired? Just plain lazy? We got you.

Caesarian Sunday-ers of the week

Like Clubbers of the week, but messier. Oh so messier.

, Editor, The Tab Manchester

These are the things that made me realise I had depression

Was I depressed or just being a bitch?

, Chief Reporter

Remembering American Adventure, the closest we got to the USA in the Midlands

Horses, guns and rollercoasters. What more could you want?

, Head of Marketing

I’d rather hang out with my parents than go clubbing

Most of my friends would, too

, Durham Editor of The Tab

Rhodes Must Fall founder makes waitress cry ‘typical white tears’

He wrote ‘WE WILL GIVE TIP WHEN YOU RETURN THE LAND’

,        

How to check your boobs: A guide

It’s so easy