Ansari traps KP to put MCCU on top

Cambridge MCCU make a fantastic start against a weakened Surrey team which features the return of England’s star batsman.

ansari Cambridge cricket surrey

Zafar Ansari took 5 wickets, including the prize one of England Star Kevin Pietersen, as Cambridge enjoyed a good day against Surrey at Fenners.

Ansari, who is under contract with the visitors but plays for the University during term time, ended with brilliant figures of 5-33, and hit 41 from 68 balls with the bat on day one of the three day fixture.

It was Pietersen’s first visit to the crease since he left England’s World Cup squad earlier this year, but it didn’t go quite as the South-African-born star would have hoped.

Craig Park takes the all-important catch at first slip

Pete Turnbull had got the MCCU side off to a perfect start, bowling Gary Wilson for a duck on only the second ball of the day.

Surrey, who made 10 changes to the team which featured in their last match, settled down after that, and with the support of Spriegel and Pietersen, who both scored 30, Arun Harinath was able to accumulate a patient 80.

But in the afternoon session Ansari struck, removing the former England captain and four of his teammates on a pitch that offered a fair amount of turn.

With Surrey declaring on a below par 234-9, the University then put together a strong opening stand. Ansari (41) and Ackland (45) took Cambridge MCCU past the hundred mark, before Tom Jewell struck three times in quick succession.

Cambridge closed the day on 151-4, in a spot more bother than they would have hoped an hour before the close of play, but still in the ascendency after a fantastic day.

Play resumes at 11am tomorrow