Paris <3 Christmas Trees

fusion glacee

Behold “Fusion Glacée”, the winning entry of the third annual Fashion Christmas Trees competition which took place at the Intercontinental Paris Le Grand. The acrylic creation gives an illusion of snowflakes (each with a tiny tree implanted inside) falling into the shape of a larger tree.

Over 30 students from design school Ecole supérieure des Arts appliqués Duperré entered, many opting for a theme of white and silver – check out the pictures of some of our favourites. A wide range of materials were used, ranging from cloth and Perspex, to wire and even books! The trees were judged by a prestigious panel of big names in French fashion such as designers Franck Sorbier, Jean-Claude Jitrois and Gaspard Yukievich and renowned artisan embroiderer François Lesage.

patience

The competition, “Sapins de Noël fashion”, is fast becoming a standard on the Paris fashion calendar. All trees will be on show in the hotel’s lobby and winter garden until January 4, so check it out if you’re passing by.

And it’s not only the Parisian students who are taking part in festive Fashion this month. A-list designers and fashion houses including Hermès, Gucci, Jean Paul Gautier, Louis Vuitton, Sonia Rykiel and Paul Smith will also be creating their own Christmas trees (though past entries have rarely resembled trees!) for Les Sapins de Noël des Créateurs.  You can see the designs at the Cité de l’Architecture from 8-14 December, after which they will be auctioned to raise money for Solidarité en SIDA, a charity which helps young people affected by AIDS.

Here are last year’s entries:

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

QUEXIT: Queens’ JCR Call for referendum on CUSU affiliation

QUEXIT joins PEXIT to call for JCR disaffiliation from CUSU

Strawberries and Creem: The banquet explained

Get your Feast on: Strawberries and Creem Festival’s food line-up revealed

, Assistant Editor

Music festivals on terror alert

Nightclubs and festivals are both at risk of Isis suicide attacks

, Features Editor

Everything Mizz magazine taught us about life in our twenties

Mum thought Sugar and Bliss were too sexy

Review: The best supermarket gin and tonic tins

Because there’s more to life than Gordon’s

and

NUS disaffiliation: The story so far

Three SUs have voted to disaffiliate and three have to remain

The best cheap supermarket prosecco, according to a wine expert

‘This one tastes like it’s been left in the fridge for a week’

, TabTv producer, The Tab Trent

How to be single

There’s an art to it