Christian Union Decides Women Should Be Seen, Not Heard

Religious society faces criticism for banning female speakers

Bristol University Christian Union have forbidden women from speaking at their weekly meetings.

The ban reflects the recent decision by the Church of England synod to reject the introduction of female bishops, consequently ignoring the last century of the equal rights movement.

Having spent ‘a lot of time exploring this issue, seeking God’s wisdom on it and discussing it together’ the CU executive committee decided that it is not appropriate for women to teach alone at weekly meetings, or be the main speaker at the CU weekend away.

Women are also banned from speaking alone at the group’s mission weeks.

However, it’s not all gloom and doom: women are allowed to speak as a double act with their husbands. Those who are unmarried must remain silent.

Dawn French’s Vicar of Dibley wouldn’t be welcome…
Picture: BBC

The decision was made due to an internal conflict regarding the introduction of women teachers. Although the group claims to unite around the core truths of the gospels, for some members having women speakers is a step too far.

Their international secretary decided to step down from his position due to discomfort over the potential use of female teachers. Other members of the CU reportedly find the notion of women teaching the gospels theologically problematic.

As a result, the CU put forward what they believe is a compromise and have banned women from speaking alone at certain events.

Grace, a 3rd year bio-chemist and practising Christian, described her distress at how ‘the CU action will mould many people’s opinions on Christianity’.

The CU’s decision seems to have been influenced by the Biblical injunction that ‘women  should remain silent in the churches. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church’.

However, as Grace pointed out, ‘firstly, the bible teaches that “in Christ there is no male or female”, but all people are equal before God.’

‘Secondly, Jesus treated women as equals; encouraging them as disciples, and choosing women as the first witnesses to His resurrection at a time when women’s testimony was inadmissible in law’.

Twenty years have passed since women priests were introduced to the Anglican Church, and now more women are ordained each year than men. In the synod’s vote, only six more members of the laity were needed to approve the motion to introduce female bishops.

Despite these encouraging signs of improvement, it would appear there is little desire for radical progress within the Christian Union.

@imcraigoc
  • Hopefully this has show the Christian Union for what it is, and will begin the demise of this over-bearing and irrelevant society.

• Massive Lad

And this is different from saying 'Get back in the kitchen' how? To think the feminists were having a go at me

• how surprising

Breaking News: backwards and misogynistic religion decides to stay backwards and misogynistic!

• Mr Gurns

Outrageous; UBU really needs to intervene.

• A true Christian

Women shouldn't have the opportunity to speak at meetings due to their inferior relationship with God. Eve was the first sinner and so all women are born with original sin. Therefore they should not try and tarnish the men with this sin and should not be able to teach at meetings.

• Koro Neil

Hard to tell whether you're a troll or an extremist. In either case, your comment may well influence a few people away from the extreme.

• GETYOURFACTSRIGHT!

The article is embarrassing because its really inaccurate/WRONG! Firstly it states that the CU has just recently banned women speakers where as actually this has been the status quo for at least the last 7 years! What the exec of the CU have actually done is make the decision to ALLOW women speakers at CU in certain settings here is a quote from there society email:

"The decision made was that, because the CU is not a church and because we
    unite around the core truths of the gospel, it is ok for women to teach in
    any CU setting. However, we understand that this is a difficult issue for
    some and so decided that women would not teach on their own at our weekly
    CU:Equip meetings, as the main speaker on our Bristol CU weekend away or as
    our main speaker for mission weeks, but a husband and wife can teach
    together in these. This means that women are able to teach (including on
    their own) in any other CU setting."

Considering that no women speakers were allowed before this I think this decision represents a step forward by the CU not a step back! Also an exec member stepped down because they felt they couldn't be responsible for this decision, bearing in mind that the status quo was no women speakers at all, this resignation supports the no women camp rather than the majority which supported the decision for women speakers.

• phildebeest

I think the hardest decision to make about this article is whether it means the CU (or is that just Christianity as a whole?) is in the 18th or 19th Century…

• JJJ

Read this yesterday and honestly thought it was satire, but now I'm not so sure. CU have fucked up big time anyway, and they'll feel the effects of this for a long time.

• Alex

GETYOURFACTSRIGHT, for your information there are female rabbis. Get YOUR facts right, before you start criticising other religions.

• hjbear

This is disgusting!

• Alex

also the university has now been embarrassed by this ridiculousness: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/12/04/bristo

• muldog

Absolutely ridiculous…What Would Jesus Do?! We're all God's children, surrounded by His love and filled with His Spirit, so why should those who are as dedicated as others, regardless of gender, not be allowed to speak about this?! Would they stop a gay Christian man from speaking? How about a blind speaker (Leviticus 21: 17-18)? We all know the Bible is a guide, but that's just it, it's a GUIDE. Anyone who loves God should be allowed to express that, this is, what I call, "a disgrace"!

• Anon.

If this is true, this is completely vile. How dare they act as though what women have to say is any less important than what men say? No wonder so many people turn away from religion these days.

• Pingback: Bristol Christian Union 'bans women speakers' – Telegraph Blogs()

• GOD

Damn feminists!

• John Locke

Love the way that it is acceptable to berate Christians for things like this as unacceptable as they are, yet its completely taboo to do so with Islam.

• Pingback: Even more unbelievable: Bristol University Christians ban women from speaking « Why Evolution Is True()

• Joe

As a university whose history is unfortunately mired in anti-feminist sentiment, I doubt Bristol as a larger institution with appearances to keep is going to stand for this gross injustice

CU – expect your backwards and contemptuous attitudes about the equality of women to be vetoed and opposed from all sides, you vile little rats.

• Pingback: Bristol University Christian Union bars women from teaching | Pack for College()

• Sean

What a surprise, religious organisations treating women in a chauvinistic, misogynistic, narrow-minded fashion. Oh wait, maybe that's a legacy stemming from their bronze-age origins. Of course it is!

• Just a point

I used to be a member of a CU at a different uni when I was a student. Their fundamentalism was actually one of the things that put me off, and now, having completely removed myself from that environment, when I think back to some of the discussions I had with other members at the time I just realise how ridiculous and closed minded they were. I'm no longer a Christian and do find Bristol CU's stance on this issue quite disgusting, but not surprising.__I would also like to make the point in relation to what GETFOURFACTSRIGHT said about the CU deciding “that women would not teach on their own at our weekly CU:Equip meetings, as the main speaker on our Bristol CU weekend away or as our main speaker for mission weeks, but a husband and wife can teach together in these. This means that women are able to teach (including on their own) in any other CU setting”. __Now, from what I remember, there really aren’t many “other CU settings”

• female

Why do people always confuse the Bible saying men and women have different roles with this somehow meaning they are not equal??? I do the dishes, my husband does the ironing, are we less equal because we do different things??

• Marlowe

Are you prohibited from ironing?

• LADiator

To be fair, it's hard to give a speech from the kitchen

• James Hutchings

I'm not sure "radical change" is the best way to describe letting women speak.

• Pingback: British University Christian Union Won’t Allow Women Teachers | Political Ration()

• Pingback: Bristol University Christian Union bars women from teaching | Womens Health()

• Pingback: Christliche Studierendengruppe in Bristol: Frauen müssen die Klappe halten | Diax's Rake()

• GETYOURFACTSRIGHT!

Can I troll like this – if so, the admin needs to create a check for ip address or mac address when the same Name is chosen again.

Wondering why the viewpoint of this previous writer changed bias?

• GETYOURFACTSRIGHT!

• thetab

That's the peril of using a fake name. People can always create an account with a fake name which whould ensure people can't troll as them.

• Alan

Whilst I don't adhere to this faith structure, I do find it a bit annoying to read the quote from 'Grace, BioChem 3rd Year person' claiming that this CU policy is against the Bible. I've read the Bible and this policy is in line with it. The apostle Paul – arguably the real star of the Christian faith, incidentally – is pretty clear on women preaching and teaching: i.e. that they should not, and that they are to be quiet in the presence of men.

The way that the modern Christian church operates is inspired by teachings in the early church, so these clear instructions have precedence over vague statements about men and women being equal in Christ.

It is also true that the disciples were all men. The women who play a part in the gospel story play a very different role. She also claims that they were the first witnesses of the empty tomb- but this rather depends on which of the 'accounts' in the gospels you read, doesn't it?! Because one of them says it's Peter!

Now, I don't agree with all the magical religious myself, but I think those that do should have the decency to own up to the nonsense rather than trying to modernise and change what the Bible says!

• Marlowe

The fact that there are conflicting accounts of Christ's resurrection make it clear that the Bible cannot be taken literally. Although, I must say that you are judgmental enough to be a star in the inerrancy camp. Divorce is acceptable, women cut their hair, men cut their beards and just about every professed Christian has had a piece of bacon. Christianity is a living religion and, as a woman and a Christian, I refuse to surrender to those who strive to force people to adhere to the parts of the Bible that are convenient for them while ignoring the greatest message which is to love God and love one another as you love yourself.

• Pingback: Christliche Studierendengruppe in Bristol: Frauen müssen die Klappe halten – Diax's Rake()

• Susan

I am a woman who has been married for 12 years and I was one who believed I should speak whenever and however I needed to and my husband and I constantly argued. I believe in total submission and the concept that women should be seen and not heard wholeheartedly. It was a decision I made after hearing God’s word that I decided to give up my feminist ways and become subissive. My husband and I get along better and he treats me fairly with love and patience. The bible hasn’t changed, God’s word hasn’t changed…..only society and women’s lib changed and the divorce rates shot up. I think we need to get back to traditional marriages and patriarchal society. It just works better.

• Pingback: Best of the UK Tab | The Tab Montreal()

• Pingback: Best of The Tab | The Tab Journalism()

Heard something newsworthy?

, Editor, The Tab Bristol

What’s the best food to have on a date?

You are what you eat

My week in men’s clothes

Apparently everyone’s doing it

What’s the worst lie you told your parents?

‘I was a real sack of shit as a teenager’

, Chief Reporter

I love living in the ‘uncool’ part of Hackney

It’s cheap and occasionally cheerful

, Assistant Editor

London’s nightlife is nothing on a night in a country pub

Take me back to the Black Horse

, Contributing Editor

Getting wasted with Kanye West fans in Notting Hill

To celebrate the release of The Life of Pablo