Global Point halls evacuated in bedroom blaze

They were left outside in their pyjamas

Global Point was evacuated this morning after a bedroom fire in the recently-opened student halls.

Four fire engines and paramedics came to the blaze in Maid Marian Way after Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service received calls of a flat fire on the sixth floor at 9.18am.

About a dozen Trent students, some whom were in their pyjamas after being woken up by the fire alarms, were made to stand outside for an hour until it was deemed safe for them to return inside.

Some of the private halls residents stayed inside claiming they didn’t hear the fire alarms.

Dulip Ekanayake, 20, a fresher biologist was woken up by the fire alarms this morning.

He said: “I was asleep and I heard the fire alarm. It seemed quite serious so I thought the safest thing would be to come out.”

Halls resident Matt Kaye tweeted: “Standard morning at Global Point, Chinese kid sets flat on fire and evacuates the whole building

https://twitter.com/1mattkaye/status/567992310170034176

Incident commander Richard Cropley, the Highfields station manager, said: “It was a small fire in a flat and we went up to deal with it.

“Initially when we got there we thought someone might have been trapped but they weren’t.

“We’re not entirely sure what started it. It was in a bedroom and the occupant came back to discover the fire.

“We think he had been at college in the morning. We don’t think it was deliberate.”

Did you see the blaze? Email [email protected].