Nottingham is now the UK’s most unemployed city

We’re to blame again

Gloomy Nottingham has overtaken Glasgow and Liverpool to become the city with the highest levels of unemployment in Britain.

New figures reveal that one in 20 people in Nottingham are currently unemployed, which means it’s going to be even tougher for students to find work after university.

5.4 per cent of people living in the city are without a job, which is much higher than the national average of three per cent, according to the Office of National Statistics.

One of Nottingham’s finer views

However students could think about relocating to Aberdeen, where there are on average two jobs for every unemployed person. The painfully middle class Cambridge and Guildford are also ideal places to secure a job, apparently.

Experts said the city’s unemployment rate is skewed by the large number of students at its two universities. But Maddie Levis, a fashion design student, doesn’t agree.

But we have so many tourist attractions

“I’ve worked for all three years I’ve been at Trent,” she said. “I know loads of students that work. Surely the more students we have working, the better the employment figures will be.

“It’s unfair to blame students when there are a lot of locals that don’t work.”