A night out on a fiver is easier than you thought

Got any change mate

We are only a couple of weeks into the second term and already our student loans are depleting at an alarming rate.

Night’s out are one of the main reasons for this, but we all know that it would be unrealistic to say we are going to go out less in order to save our pennies. So, instead The Tab thought it would try going on a night out that simply costs less.

Five Pounds: most clubs charge this as an entry fee, which is why this task was always going to be a challenge however, after some clever calculations and a bit of charm £5 is all that was needed to have an awesome night out.

The easiest place for this dream to become a reality was, of course, Rock City. It is cheap at the best of times but this Friday the club launched it’s newest night, Get Lucky, which meant promo offers were being thrown about left, right and centre. It was free entry before 11pm and £2.50 cocktails were on offer all night long. What’s not to love!?

Also, if like me, you live in the city centre taxi’s are more of a luxury rather than a necessity these day- this instantly saves you money. Therefore, the rule is if it’s less than a five minute drive away it is definitely walkable. Girls this goes for you as well, especially when you are heading to Rock City because, let’s face it, you will not be wearing your heels then!

Once I got my free entry into the club (incredibly early) I still had the entire £5 to play with. This along with some sneaky tricks meant that I was able to enjoy the rest of my night just like I would any other, but with the added bonus that I wasn’t breaking the bank.

Throughout the night I brought myself two cocktails with the £5 then had a further two drinks brought for me (that’s where the charm/no shame part comes into play). If you are willing to make a tit of yourself then this task is definitely for you because the more embarrassing you are the more successful you will be at sticking to this budget.

However, if that approach is not for you, or you are unsuccessful with that mission, it is always good to have a plan B.  I for one made sure that I was prepared for all possibilities.

Hip flasks are a saviour and an investment that every scrimping student should make. I have a very crafty clutch bag with two compartments which means that bouncers are oblivious to the free booze that I am smuggling in. They provide you with enough alcohol to keep you topped up throughout the night and avoid you splashing the cash at the bar.

I really didn’t think that £5 would be enough for me to have a good night, as on average I spend around £20 every time I go out, but this really did prove to me that if you are prepared to be stingy bastard then embrace it and avoid maxing out that overdraft.

Now that I have done it once there is no doubt that I will be doing it again! Why spend more when you can have just as much fun spending less!?

If you don’t believe me try it for yourself and let us know how you get on.