Student backlash as exams disrupted by NTU construction work

Angered students have taken to the internet to voice their concern about an upcoming NTU regeneration project at Clifton Campus

Angry Construction Trent

The campus promises to be almost unrecognisable soon, with a multitude of new facilities and structures being added.

The catch? Trent has proposed that the demolition of the George Eliot – a dilapidated building at the heart of the campus – starting on the March 30, just before exams begin. Yep. That’s right. The noise which has ruined many a summer lie-in is now threatening to disrupt concentration for students during upcoming exams.

A petition on change.org for NTU to delay the construction work is gathering pace, with 402 out of the targeted 500 signatures already obtained since Richard Bromhall started it up under a month ago.

Bad Name On Campus?

Tom Macdonald, a 2nd year Biological Science student who studies at Clifton, said the demolition was needed, but bound to be a distraction.

He added: “It’s a good idea – it’s a very old building which feels dilapidated, but I can imagine the demolition will be very disruptive during exams, surely NTU could have left this until summer?”

2nd year Tash Staley studying Biomedical Science said: “It’s great that they are updating it all as that part of campus is quite old and in need of repair, but they should have started it in the summer when people aren’t trying to study.

“It is massively affecting third years as they have nowhere quiet to work.”

Starting before summer – what’s the Point?

Clearly the project will be of great benefit to future students in the long run – but what about now? NTU have invested a lot into the Clifton regeneration, but appear unmoved on the disruption issue.

“Some minor ground clearing activity outside the refectory and at the front of George Eliot, needs to be carried out ahead of the start of the demolition works, due to commence mid March.” Ignorant? Aloof? “Preparation work continues at Clifton.”

So what does this mean for the students of Clifton? Will their exam focus be destroyed quicker than a finger-food buffet at the Claire from Steps household?

Or will they saunter through without a worry and return in September to find an enchanted land of academic excellence to replace what is currently falling to pieces?

Without any justification, the current decision to start demolition work during the exam period instead of pushing it back until summer seems completely ludicrous. Let’s raise our voices a little bit, and who knows, they might be able to rescue some common sense from the rubble.

Sign the petition here.