Sasha Roseneil appointed as new Vice-Chancellor of University of Sussex

Roseneil will take up the position in August this year

The University of Sussex has announced its next Vice-Chancellor, Sasha Roseneil, who will be taking up the role in August of this year.

Roseneil moves to University of Sussex after being UCL’s first Pro-Provost (Equity and Inclusion) and Dean of the Faculty of Social and Historical Sciences.

Roseneil said: “Sussex’s future is extremely bright and I am hugely honoured to be appointed as its next Vice-Chancellor.

“I will focus the energy and resources of the University on realising the full potential of its ground-breaking research, thought leadership and transformational education in the service of the common good. The world is currently facing enormous challenges, particularly relating to environmental sustainability and intensified inequalities, and Sussex has a vital contribution to make in tackling these problems and shaping a better future for all.

“My goal is to ensure that we attract a diverse body of students with the potential to benefit from a Sussex education, and that we offer them an inspirational, life-changing, challenging, and supportive education that equips them to flourish beyond university.”

Chair of Council, Sussex’s governing body, Dame Denise Holt, has congratulated Roseneil, saying: “I would like to congratulate Professor Roseneil on her appointment as the next Vice-Chancellor of our great university.

“After an extremely thorough and competitive recruitment process, we are convinced that Professor Roseneil is the right person to lead this exciting new phase in the University’s development.

“She is hugely respected as a globally-influential researcher, valued colleague, and champion of the transformative power of education.”

The news comes after Adam Tickell stepped down as Vice-Chancellor in June 2021 to become Vice-Chancellor at the University of Birmingham.

Dame Denise Holt also thanked Sussex’s current interim Vice-Chancellor, Professor David Maguire “I would like to record my appreciation for the excellent – and continuing – job David Maguire is doing in leading the University in this transitional period.”

Professor David Maguire will continue as interim Vice-Chancellor until Roseneil begins her new position in the summer.