Image may contain: Vase, Pottery, Potted Plant, Plant, Jar, Flora

Sussex University boosts local economy by £343m a year, says report

The university also supports 5,180 jobs

According to a new report, The University of Sussex brings £343 million a year to the economies of Brighton & Hove, East Sussex and West Sussex.

The study also found that the university supports 5,180 jobs in the area and contributed around £150 million to Britain’s GDP.

The report, produced by the independent analysts Oxford Economics, was commissioned by the university to determine its economic and social impact on the region and the wider UK economy.

Furthermore, Sussex University’s significant social impact, the report says, is driven by its world-leading research, highly skilled graduates and civic-minded staff, as well as a strong commitment to social mobility and business innovation.

Sussex University vice-chancellor Adam Tickell said “This report shows we are a regional economic powerhouse with a hugely important role in the social and economic success of our surrounding areas.

“Our impact is felt both directly and through a powerful ripple-like effect that stretches across the region and covers the length and breadth of the country.”

While the greatest impact was on the local and regional economies, the report states that the university’s “economic footprint” is nationwide, adding £407 million to the UK economy, supporting 6,200 jobs and generating £100 million in tax receipts.

You can read the full report here.