Free education and the legalisation of drugs: The Tab Sussex talks to SU candidate Mick Kolesidis

He also plans to demand price reductions in Eat Central and the Co-op

Hide Images

With the polls opening next Monday for the Sussex Students’ Union elections, students should prepare for the onslaught of leaflets from aspiring Students’ Union Presidents and Officers, all hoping to become a part of next year's team. One such person is Mick Kolesidis, a Drama student originally from Kalamariá, Greece.

Central to Mick’s campaign is the fight for free education. He believes the Students’ Union is the best platform from which to campaign against the commercialisation of UK universities, stating in his manifesto that “the Student Union will be driving force in the fight for free education.”

I questioned whether this could realistically be achieved in his time as President: it all seems very ambitious for a one-year tenure. Speaking to The Tab Sussex, he argued that “this is a fight for students, and it’s the most basic issue students can fight for. If we become active for only one cause, this is the cause it should be.

“It is not something that can happen in a year. I want the Students’ Union to stay a part of the long-term campaign after I've left.”

But is the Students’ Union the best platform for this fight? Why not start a separate campaign? Mick told The Tab Sussex he hopes the Students’ Union will become a part of the already existing national campaign, claiming that “the Students’ Union has the tremendous advantage of publicity” which a separate group would lack.

One of Mick’s campaign posters.

Mick’s campaign doesn’t only focus on free education, however, and he hopes his other proposals can be implemented much sooner.

In particular he wants to make on-campus accommodation more affordable, stating that he will “negotiate reductions in the rent of (at least) the older residencies” and “ensure that there will be at least one option in the price levels of East Slope.”

However, as The Tab Sussex revealed last month, Park Village rent is to drop from £98.53 per week to just £90 per week, making it only £1.44 per week more expensive than the current East Slope residences. Lewes Court and Park Houses are also set to be substantially reduced. I wanted to know what made Mick’s proposals any different to what is already being done.

“Park Village has a smaller capacity than East Slope,” Mick is quick to point out, adding that the new residences will be the most expensive yet, therefore reducing the total number of affordable rooms on campus. He also suggests reducing rent for students from low-income households, defined by a maximum income. To Mick, the university clearly wants to increase its profit; he claims his answer to the issue of accommodation is “a feasible solution to keep the profit the same.”

High prices and long queues make trips to the Co-op a daily struggle for many Sussex students, even those just stocking up on essentials. Mick proposes to “demand price reductions” in Eat Central and the Co-op, saying “action will be taken if our demands are not accepted (boycotting, protests)”. However, with the Students’ Union already having held a vote to lobby for lower Co-op prices, would Mick as President be any different, and would such action be any more effective?

Mick says he wants to go much further than simply voting for lower prices. He wants the Students’ Union to self-organise, expanding the Students’ Union shop so it can serve as a viable alternative, describing its current state as “underdeveloped with not enough products”. He wants the Students’ Union to “examine why the Co-op prices are so high,” arguing that “all the prices need to be lower; it is not enough to just lower some.”

Mick has similar ideas when it comes to the laundrettes, writing that he would “urge the university to invest in its own equipment instead of allowing a private company to take advantage of students”. Many students have a bad relationship with Circuit Laundry, but what would make a university-run version any better?

Mick believes “the cost to install a set of washing machines to be used at a lower cost would be minimal. If this can’t be done by the university, they should be run by the Students’ Union.” With an advance-booking system and as many machines as possible, Mick believes this is a workable solution that would save students a lot of money.

Another of Mick’s interests is the university’s policy on drugs, writing in his manifesto that “we will organise events informing students about the correct usage, the effects and the health effects of popular drugs,” and that “the Student Union will actively support the movement for the decriminalisation of drugs” with the intent of “crime and harm reduction.”

But the Students’ Union already offers drugs testing kits to minimise harm; does he really think he can go further than this and get the university on board? Mick admits he had only found out about the drugs testing kits recently, claiming this is proof “information about drugs isn’t being communicated effectively.”

He says “drugs are clearly everywhere and can't be stopped, but the vast majority of students probably don’t know about the testing kit and aren’t informed about all the dangers of drugs. We need to make sure this information reaches every student.”

To fund his ideas, Mick proposes to hold more parties and concerts in and around Falmer House, similar to those held at many other universities across Europe. He says these would be “a great alternative to flat parties and expensive clubs.”

What stands out most about Mick is his wealth of experience. One example is his role as President of the Erasmus Student Network (ESN) in Greece, an education stakeholder within the EU. He represented students in Greece and abroad, describing the role as “a link between the international level of ESN in Brussels and the university in Greece.”

LSE Students protest the introduction of tuition fees in 1998 – Flickr

Since it’s the central theme of his campaign, I brought the conversation back to free education. Mick said if students “become active for only one cause, this is the cause it should be.” So what makes him believe this is the most important cause?

“When I first came to Brighton, I saw extreme inequality. There’s poverty and homelessness, and the best way to tackle these issues is through education. Working-class students have a disadvantage when it comes to their education. I know people who wake up at 4 AM to start their shift at work before they go to classes, and this is unjust.

“Above all, education is a human right, not a commodity — we are not customers. This links to the Student Union’s stance on the lecturers’ strikes: some officers believe we should be neutral, but this is impossible. Under my leadership, the Students’ Union will always be on the side of those campaigning for free education.

“Everyone fighting for free education is on the side of students, and everything is a matter of will and priorities. Education can and should be free.”