Sussex University to act as rent guarantors for students in new pilot

20 students will take part in the pilot

Sussex students who may not have a rent guarantor when searching for off-campus accommodation now have the opportunity to sign up and have the university as their guarantor instead.

When looking for off-campus accommodation, many landlords state that students must have a guarantor who would foot the rent should the student be unable to.

International students face the problem of securing a UK guarantor as family are abroad, requiring them to pay either 6 months or the whole contract’s rent in one go.

The university will be a guarantor for properties that do not exceed £125 per week which will not cover bills. The university has also stated that tenancy must be 52 week maximum and that students do not have a record of ‘serious behaviour incident’ on any of the on-campus accommodation.

The scheme launches today at the housing fair held in the Falmer House Common Room where students can find out more and sign up for the pilot.

Applications open today (February 1st) and close June 1st on a first come first serve basis should those interested fit the eligibility criteria.

Speaking to Sussex University, Sarah Gibbons, Students’ Union Society and Citizenship Officer, said:

“I’m really excited to see that this scheme is going ahead this year. Finding a guarantor can be a huge barrier to students being able to secure good quality affordable accommodation in Brighton. This pilot has come after years of lobbying from officers so huge congratulations to everyone who’s been involved and hope to see it expand in the future.”