Sussex just got absolutely trashed on University Challenge last night

We lost 245 to 35

Sussex University were on University Challenge last night and were rinsed 245 to 35 against Kent University.

The team of four, made up of TV broadcaster Dermot Murnaghan, comedian Hattie Hayridge, principle of Edinburgh University Sir Timothy O’Shea, and barrister Alex Bailin, faced the Kent team on yesterday on BBC2.

The current special festive series of University Challenge takes the alumni of each of the 14 competing universities and pits them together to win the Christmas crown.

Sussex University showed its true talents with Dermot Murnaghan correctly answering a question about the Royal Family.

The Sussex team also had an incredible talent of naming types of turkey bone, and answered a question about squirrels – no surprise there, every Sussex student becomes an expert on squirrels.

This is not the only bad performance seen from Sussex. We currently hold the record for the lowest score on University Challenge back in 1971 where we scored only ten points.

It’s not all doom and gloom though. Sussex have won on two occasions in 1967 and 1969 meaning we are on par with Durham, Imperial College London, and Trinity College Cambridge who have also won twice.

Sussex University has recently auditioned for the normal series of University Challenge. The team will begin filming in February, so keep your eyes peeled for any sightings of dungaree-wearing, multi-coloured hair hippies on the BBC.