Occupiers have left Bramber House

The occupation came to an end after 2 days

Earlier this week, protesters moved into Bramber House to protest the deportation of Luqman, a chronically ill international student. Yesterday evening, they left peacefully after 15 bailiffs arrived, taking their sleeping bags and supplies.

During their occupation they received supplies from supporters by lowering buckets down on rope, and drew crowds of 200 at a time.  The university has stated that the deportation of Luqman is a decision by the home office in regards to his visa and that this decision could not be influenced.

Protesters stood on the balcony in Bramber house above the Co-Op and chanted above their posters.Some protesters demanded that Theresa May be deported. Other activities the protesters partook in included creating messages using tea candles in library square (they didn’t last long in the weather), blaring ‘Rage Against The Machine’ out loud through a portable speaker, and holding smoke flares as well as some home-made posters.

The occupiers remained there for two days, but left peacefully last night and headed for Falmer Common Room to plan further action after bailiffs were sent into the building. This follows a letter from the university being posted around Bramber, addressed to the occupiers, threatening legal action.

As the occupiers left the building, they sang loudly, saying: “people have the power, tell me can you feel it? We’re getting stronger by the hour.”

Last night, security presence on campus was high, and for a few hours Bramber House could only be accessed from one side.

The students are currently running a crowd funding page to provide better legal aid to Luqman.