Preston Park cycling track to re-open this Spring

Get your Lycra ready

The historic Preston Park Cycling Track will re-open in this Spring following improvement works.

The cycling track is the oldest in the country but was forced to close due to safety fears.

The closure sparked an online petition to save it, which got received over 5,000 signatures.

British Cycling and Brighton and Hove City Council jointly finalised a funding package to save the track earlier this month after meeting throughout the last year.

The total cost of the improvements is £160,000, and the majority of this is being funded by a grant from British Cycling, and the remaining £50,000 is coming from funding contributions from planning applications.

British Cycling’s Coaching, Education and Development Director, John Mills said: “Preston Park provides an excellent, traffic-free cycling facility, which is of great value to the people of Brighton and the wider South East Region.”

Warren Morgan, the council leader, said that the funds will be put to good use to replace broken fencing and carry out minor repairs.

The cycle track is expected to be fully operational and open to the public by spring this year.