A Fashion Fiesta to finish up Fashion Week

Brighton’s Fashion Week finishes with a bang.

The Showreel Catwalk was the final show of the impressive Brighton Fashion Week.

With many new and upcoming local designers such as Sarina Poppy, Martin Across and Dennis Vanderbroeck, this was not your standard fashion show. Many of the designers used dance and music in their show and this made it much more of a performance rather than just having models walking up and down a runway.

Sarina Poppy drew inspiration from the opera Firebird and incorporated ballet into her show, as well as an injection of 1920s flapper girls to round it off.

Patrizia Ruthensteiner combined sound and movement in the creation of her collection. She matched up sound and costume to create a texture of noise that resembled the chaos of life itself.

Dennis Vanderbroeck’s collection was simpler than the rest but it still made a comment on today’s society, a society obsessed with selfies and social media.

Freya von Bulow told a story with her collection. She portrayed the four stages of a post-apocalyptic world using only paper dresses. It shows the immediate aftermath, the feral stage, robotic takeover and finally the one ruler of all and her handmaidens and pet.

Minnan Hui created her collection with the idea of memory loss. There were pieces that were full of colour and design, then some that felt strangely empty.

Vingi Wong used Arabic architecture and the human body to create this collection and she has fashioned a bright and fun collection that you could never get bored of looking at.

Martin Across took us on a brief trip back to our childhood with designs based on toys, maps and exploration. What was seen was not only inventive but thought provoking too.

The final collection of the night really was a spectacular showstopper. A tribe of women singing and dancing all wearing face masks and tribal paint. It was a shocking, sexual display yet intriguing to watch.

The Showreel Catwalk was a fantastic performance more than runway. The designers were fresh and inventive. It was a wonderful way to spend an evening and a great way to end Brighton Fashion Week.

After the show I got the chance to chat to a few of the student models.

Majorie, a 22 year old student at Brighton

Majorie said: “I’ve only ever done promo shoots before this, this was my first catwalk. I heard about it online.

“I do get a few comments and people making stereotypical assumptions when people hear I’m a model.

“I have a good balance between my uni work and my modelling.

“In three words, I would describe tonight, Best, experience, ever.”

Kyle, a 20 year old student at Brighton

Kyle told us: “I do a few little modelling jobs up in London which means that modelling does sometimes get in the way of my uni work.

“I also have to face some stereotypes when people find out I do modelling.

“If I had to describe tonight in three words, they would be… Really Good Designers.”

Anda, 28

Professional model Anda said: “I do modelling as a career, and I face many stereotypes when people find out it is my job. I never tell people outright what I do, I wait until they ask me what I do for a living.

“Tonight’s show was interesting, fun, colourful, exciting. The only downside is that I wish I had more outfits to change into.”

For more from The Tab, like our Facebook or follow our Twitter.