Image may contain: Plant, Confectionery, Food, Sweets

Christmas Ball: A review

All was merry and bright

It was beginning to look a lot like Christmas on Sunday as the Mermaids pulled out all the stops, once again, for their annual Christmas Ball. Far from being a Fairytale in New York, we fell down the rabbit hole this year for a night Through The Looking Glass, modelled on Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland.

Starting in the Union Main Bar, guests were invited to enjoy specialty cocktails whilst Danny Elfman's iconic score played in the background. Making their way through the fairy lights and playing cards that Decked the Walls, guests fell down the rabbit hole (cleverly disguised as a coach!) to the main event. Held at Kinkell Byre, a mere seven minute drive away, the Alice in Wonderland theme was brought to life with "Drink Me" signs, and a real-life Red Queen in her own grotto.

Image may contain: Photo Booth, Person, Human, Furniture

Photo: Lightbox, Ewan Harvey

It was far from a Silent Night with live music playing throughout the night. Jazz on entry, rock 'n' roll, pop, and rock amongst many others entertained the masses, who were greeted with a glass of sparkling wine upon entry.

With food provided by Janettas, Blackhorn and the Fine Food and Dining Society, no one was left to go hungry. However, the pièce de résistance, however, was the table full of chocolate fountains complete with fruit and other items to lather with hot liquid chocolate.

Image may contain: Sweets, Confectionery, Meal, Drink, Milk, Beverage, Food, Candle

Photo: Lightbox, Anastasia Rak

Everything appeared well-organised, well-catered-for and well-enjoyed by everyone in attendance. A final evening of excitement before the trials and tribulations of final exams and deadlines force everyone into a stress-induced frenzy.

At £35 per ticket, the evening was definitely worth the price tag. At the time of writing, the exact amount of money raised from ticket sales has still not been released, but all funds go toward the "Mermaids Performing Arts Fund, especially to help with costs associated with sending teams to the Edinburgh Fringe", according to the Mermaid's Press Coordinator for the ball.

Image may contain: Leisure Activities, Furniture, Chair, Text

Photo: Lightbox, Jason Corbett

Whilst this year's ball is over and exams are in full swing, we'll soon be driving home for Christmas and relaxing in full holiday spirit. We look forward to seeing what the Mermaids have in store for us at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in summer, and, more importantly, at next year's ball!

Until then, we shall reminisce on the events of this year as we power through exams and deadlines to reach the most wonderful time of the year.