The struggles of being an openly LGBT+ Christian

And what we can learn from them

Hide Images

Yes, you did read that correctly: LGBT+ Christians do exist. And as one myself, I can tell you that it’s no walk in the park. Even at the best of times, it can feel impossible to reconcile the two most important aspects of my identity. I have been handed a leaflet by a Church in St. Andrews that promoted conversion therapy, and I have walked away from an LGBT+ society event feeling ridiculed and rejected for my faith. The result for many is that they must choose between two equally tragic outcomes – a suppression of their sexuality or an abandonment of their beliefs.

The disgust from either end comes as no surprise to me. I have been taught to reject homosexuality in the same way as many Christians have, and it is difficult but important to admit how easy it is to believe what we have always been told. On the other hand, it is hardly astonishing that so many members of the LGBT+ community are embittered when the subject of conversation turns to religion; they have been wounded by it too deeply to ever see sense in its teachings.

Perhaps here is where we should put an end to this vicious cycle. I’m lucky enough to have had many of my negative experiences counteracted by positive ones: I have seen a Catholic priest preach love in a sermon on the importance of accepting the LGBT+ community for who they are, and in turn I have seen the St. Andrews LGBT+ society invite Reverends to voice their views on issues faced by the community. Times are changing, slowly but surely.

By narrating these thoughts and experiences, I make no attempt to justify my belief in God, nor (now, bear with me here) my belief that a belief in God is compatible with the belief that homosexuality is not a sin. What I do wish to convey, however, is this cheesy but crucial conclusion: that tolerance is always the answer. In a world of extremes, I ask only that we turn down the aggression.

No Christian will ever promote the lessons of love taught in their Bible by insisting that the LGBT+ community are hell-bound, and no gay rights activist will ever convince a Christian to love and accept the LGBT+ community by mocking their religion. Take it from someone who spends her whole life defending both teams – you will never promote what you stand for by 'shoving it down someone's throat' (for lack of a better term). Where opinions are polarised, we can better ourselves and the well-being of others by being willing to give the one thing that we all seek for ourselves – and that is acceptance.