Students told not to panic over scabies outbreak in halls

Seriously. Don’t.

Several St Andrews Halls of residence have been hit by an outbreak of scabies, a skin infestation which can result in rashes and itchiness.

It is not entirely clear how the outbreak started (though since the symptoms of scabies can take over six weeks to present themselves, the first infections could have taken place as early as refreshers), but it seems to be concentrated in John Burnet Hall, with worries about the infection also arising in DRA, Agnes Blackadder Hall, and others.

Scabies have hit several halls

Also unclear is the extent of the outbreak, though most estimates are that it is not widespread. Since scabies is spread by skin-to-skin contact, as well as shared towels, bedding and clothing, outbreaks of scabies are fairly common in student accommodation- (last year The Tab reported on a similar outbreak in halls of residence at the University of West London).

This being St Andrews, a social-media rumour mill has immediately sprung up surrounding the outbreak. One student posted on Yik-Yak that “at least ten” students had contracted the disease in JBH alone. (The Tab can confirm that the actual figure for the whole of St Andrews is no more than 3. We can also confirm that rumours that students are deliberately infecting others by tampering with laundry are totally false)

The symptoms can lead to itching and irritation

Another student in JBH claimed that “there’s a real tense atmosphere in the hall at the moment. You hear so much, and it’s a bit worrying that anyone you touch can infect you. Kinda like a zombie film.”

However, these attitudes are in a minority- most students interviewed believed that the “outbreak” had been blown out of proportion by the reactions of students on social media.

As usual Yik Yak provided ample commentary

“It’s all basically a bit of a nothing. Exactly the kind of thing i’d expect The Tab to report on, to be honest” said one student who seemed to sum up the views of many JBH residents.

Similarly Bernie Munro, senior student of Agnes Blackadder Hall said. “Our committee has given advice to our residents to remain vigilant of the symptoms and be aware of where and how to access the appropriate treatment. We as a committee are not concerned about the outbreak as the numbers have remained at a very low level. We have requested that residents don’t panic and get in touch with us or the wardens if they have any queries or are in need of further advice.”