The Saints christened the new Arena with a nail-biting victory

They won 51-49

The first official match played in the new Arena ended in a last minute victory for the Saints 51-49.

The evening commenced with a drinks reception welcoming University officials, Saints Sport staff and plenty of students ready to show their support for the University of St Andrews Women’s Basketball Team as they battled Robert Gordon University in their BUCS Scottish 1A match.

The pre-game performance by the Saints Cheerleaders and the welcoming speeches by Director of Sport Stephen Stewart and Athletic Union President Sarah Thompson had the near capacity crowd ready for what was sure to be an exciting match between two of Scotland’s best women’s basketball teams

From the moment the starting siren sounded, it was clear that this game was not going to disappoint the eager supporters. Within the first ten second the Saints took possession and scored; within the first minute Robert Gordon made it an even 2-2. This close competition characterised the entire game, resulting in a very close 2-point win by the Saints.

At the end of the first quarter the scoreboard showed an even 12-12 setting up the remaining three quarters as a competitive, fast-paced and highly skilled demonstration of some of St Andrews’ finest athletes. At half-time Saints supporters were still perched firmly on the edge of their seats with the score sitting precariously at 27-24, the Saints just in the lead. The quality of play from both teams was such that, at this point, the game could go either way.

Fortunately, thanks to some spectacular baskets scored by the Saints and some strategic planning by their Head Coach Callum Knox, the Saints emerged triumphant.

It is safe to say that the brand new Arena was well and truly inaugurated during its grand opening on Wednesday night. The newly installed bleachers withstood the test of enthralled supporters, cheering and commiserating alongside their team.

The Arena was completed as part of the first of three phases of the current £14m redevelopment and extension of the Sports Centre. This redevelopment is part of the wider vision of Saints Sport to become home to the best sporting programme in Scotland.

Overall the evening was a fantastic show of inter-varsity camaraderie, good sportsmanship and excellent basketball. It was a fitting start to what promises to be an Arena that will see generations of Saints athletes compete amidst the sense of community that was so strongly present tonight.

Photos courtesy of Craig Doyle.