Five things to do this week

Essay deadlines and class tests may be looming large, but it’s not time to stop having fun just yet! Check out what events the bubble has to offer you this week

acappella enactusstandrews luigipirandello oktoberfest stereoscopemagazine theotherguys

1. Enactus St Andrews is a student organisation which seeks to improve the quality of life and standard of living of those in need through entrepreneurial schemes. This Thursday, the students and volunteers behind the organisation are holding a futuristic-themed night at the Lizard to raise money for their projects. Entry is £4, and discounted drinks will be flowing all night, so dress to impress and get slizard for a good cause!

2. This Thursday, Friday and Saturday, Mermaids is staging performances of Luigi Pirandello’s Henry IV at the Barron Theatre. The play tells the humorous, yet bitterly sad tale of a man who believes he is Henry IV, and the lengths those closest to him are willing to go to conceal the truth from him. To book tickets, email [email protected], or go along to the Barron before 19:30 on the night of the play to secure one.

3. Stereoscope magazine, a magazine celebrating student photography while drawing attention to St Andrews’ photographic special collections, is looking for submissions for this year’s big issue, themed ‘intimacy’. You can really go anywhere with this theme, as the word ‘intimacy’ is multifaceted, some considering physical contact as an important way of establishing a strong bond with someone else, while others feel truly at ease sitting by another’s side in silence. Submit your photos, portfolios or literary submissions by email to [email protected] no later than the 7th of March for the chance to have your creative piece featured in the issue.

4. This weekend, expect to see girls dressed in dirndl dresses and blouses, hair pulled back in two tight plaits, and boys in colourful lederhosen wandering the streets as early as 09:00 on their way to their respective boozy brunches. Oktoberfest, St Andrews’ version of the renowned Bavarian festival, is taking place this Saturday in Kinkell Byre, and promises to be as wild as ever. Think overflowing pint glasses of beer being chugged and smashed, fairground rides full of shrieking German royalty, and beautiful people sat down to a Bavarian feast or dancing on tables. Tables were allocated by ballot a while ago, but I’m sure if you try hard enough, you’ll find a way in somehow!

5. On Sunday, A Cappella groups from St Andrews, Glasgow and Aberdeen will be competing in the second annual Scottish A Cappella Championship in the hope of winning a prize of £1000 for their next project. You can expect the usual heart-melting performance by the male dream team, The Other Guys, and appearances from St Andrews’ other talented unaccompanied choirs, such as The Alleycats and The Accidentals. Tickets are being sold on Tuesday and Thursday outside the library, £6 for students, £8 for anyone else.

Images courtesy of http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki