Candidate Question Time: Jack Carr

Jack wears purple for a reason. He also has some great policies.

Current School of History President Jack Carr dropped by to tell us why he felt you should vote for him as Director of Representation next year. After discovering that he has based his campaign on his favourite colour because he feels that Purple really sets off his eyes, I then decided to actually find out what his policies were (whilst trying not to pay attention only to his eyes.)

Jack is really focusing on the education and wellbeing aspects of the representation role- two things that he sees as being of utmost importance.”In terms of education, it’s all about study spaces. We need to reflect what students actually want from a study space.” Jack proposes that we need to create more space, more power outlets, and probably even a bigger cafe so that students can have easier access to that all important caffeine fix.

However, for Jack the main priority will start with something he identifies with on a personal level. This problem is the haphazard way in which academic schools deal with supporting students who are struggling. “Some schools do a fantastic job to support their students, but there are also some which are just not up to the mark. Students should never have to go into a meeting with an academic member of staff and justify having mental and physical health problems. I want to use real stories to show directors of teaching the evidence of this problem, because we can then go forward to the learning and teaching council and say that this is where the university is not doing well, and this is what needs to be done.”

Mr Carr really does have faith that he would be the perfect man for the job this year in order to carry on the important work which needs to be done for students. “I’m the most experienced, and I also have a really personal experience of how the university deals with students and their wellbeing. I’ve seen both the best and the worst of the university in this respect. I have a really powerful motivation to see change”

“I have an amazing campaign team- they have been so supportive.”

Jack seems to be incredibly keen to help and represent the students of St Andrews in whatever respect he can, and believes that if he had to sum himself up in three words, they would be “compassionate driven and committed “. He is also not ashamed to say that his favourite disney movie is Frozen (which he knows is cliché), but that this is closely followed by Aladdin.