Five things to do this week

Look forward to a great week of Nutella, Studio 54, and a little kink.

barbarawoodward fifefoodfestival fiftyshadesofgrey studio54 worldnutelladay

1. Barbara Woodward is giving the inagural lecture of the newly appointed Rector’s Inspiration Series today at 14:30 in School 2 of Sallie’s Quad, and her experience of impressive previous jobs, including Queen Liz’ first female ambassador, should make for an inspiring Monday afternoon. Entry is free, but a donation of £2 is recommended. Your money will be added to The Rector’s Fund, a fund set up to enable students to partake in internships.

2. On Tuesday 3rd February, The Lizard is being transformed once again into a venue reminiscent of Studio 54, New York’s hottest nightclub in the 70s, known for its theatrical decor and A-list crowd. Although I’m dubious as to how our tiny, grimy club can ever hope to emulate 54’s glamour, last year’s event was a huge success according to The Stand’s review, proving the magic of numerous vodka shots and fabulous costumes. Tickets were mostly being sold throughout last week, but can still be purchased online at http://buytickets.at/globalinvestmentgroup/22411.

3. I know this doesn’t really count as a St Andrews event, but I think you should all be aware that Thursday is World Nutella Day! Nurse a hangover with strawberry and Nutella pancakes, and then just add the divinely-tasting chocolate spread to everything you eat for the rest of the day. Order Nutella: The 30 Best Recipes off Amazon now (it’s shaped like a Nutella jar!), and choose which muffins, cookies, truffles and cakes you’re going to make for your nearest and dearest.

4. This year, 14th February is a BIG day for us all. Not only does it mark the annual day of love (often dreaded by those not currently smitten) and FS 2015, but also the release date of Fifty Shades of Grey, a film based on E. L. James’ erotic romance novel. This Wednesday, the Vic is hosting an evening in celebration of the sexy film, so dress in kinky evening wear, think leather mini skirts and sheer silk tops, and truly embrace the theme by reading excerpts of the novel aloud at predrinks and watching the advert until you know it word for word. Tickets are being sold outside the Vic on Wednesday from 13:00 until 16:00, but sports clubs can buy them in bulk for their members beforehand by emailing [email protected].

5. On Sunday 8th February, Fife Food Festival is taking place in Younger Hall, and judging by the posts on the festival’s Facebook page, there’s going to be a wide range of exciting, delicious food and drink for attendees to try and buy. Go along to support the Scottish food industry and spice up your food cupboard with quirky dips and eccentric jam flavours.

Images courtesy of Harriet Plaskitt and http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki