Review: House of Horror

Tyler is is impressed with the syringe shots, but is left baying for (more) blood.

Halloween Eve was the new twist for the House of Horror party. One which began with mingling, smoking and complimentary syringe-shots of vodka, the first of many creepy little touches offering a taste of the macabre. Guests, dressed as bananas, pregnant nuns, black & white film stars, and of course slutty cats and skulls, scoffed traditional halloween candy, Haribo and Celebrations (whilst largely ignoring the overpriced Dervish stand) and bought drinks from excellently costumed bar staff. As they mingled around the venue, brave souls took to the dance floor in hopes that classics, such as Thriller or The Time Warp, would soon be pumping out of the speakers.

Time ticked on and, as the witching hour wound its way into the 31st, party revellers rolled onto the dance floor, decorated with cobwebs, hanging candles a la Adams family, and sheets with bloody handprints, for the ensuing hex-witch bacchae backed by Dj SAUNIT and Kalliope: the true highlight of the evening.

Overall, House of Horror was a successfully spooky event. The bare bones were there, but the decrepit skeleton could have done with a bit more fleshing out. Actors were promised, and whilst the ghoul running into the crowd with a ‘chainsaw’ and the shrieking greeting upon arrival were atmospheric touches, I feel this could have been taken further throughout.

Sections of Kinkell were closed off, which made sense considering the venue was never more than half-capacity full, but this came off as a little bit stark. There may be a better, smaller venue out there, and this may even provide a greater sense of intimacy. I overheard one event-goer wondering why some scary film was not projected onto one of the many empty walls, something that would have added to the expected ‘horror’ of the evening.

Nevertheless, the décor was generally eerie. The blinding red smoke that entrants were swept through was an inspired choice, and probably provided an excellent #selfie backdrop when things were quieter. Candles, bats, and briar patches were lit by electric green lasers, but a few more innovative touches (who doesn’t love a bloodbath?) would have been a real treat (or trick).

If the House of Horror started as a chocolate-box scene from Hansel and Gretel, the creepy final hours were a descent into hell. Make of that what you will.

All photos courtesy of Katherine Diment