Preview: Welly Ball

The Stand goes behind the scenes to talk to the Welly Ball Committee

The Stand talks to Nicky Boulter and Rose Eastwood about one of the biggest nights of the year – Welly Ball 2015! Get ready to don those boots and head down to Kinkell on the 15th November for one party you certainly won’t want to miss! 750 dinner guests, 500 additional after-party tickets, and plethora of other universities. Plus it’s all in aid of an excellent charity, The Charlie Waller Memorial Trust. Really, what’s not to like?

How will you top the success of last year, and do you have any exciting new plans up your sleeves?!
The marquee in the back is being filled with loads of fun stuff. We’ve got loads of food trucks to keep your appetite at bay. For the first time, we have a really well-known band and also a long time St Andrews favourite. We’ve also increased the number of people per table for dinner guests from 8 to 10 on round tables.

What musical acts should we be looking forward to?
Top Secret until the night we’re afraid!

Why have you decided on this particular charity?
This year we decided to take a change in direction, we usually sponsor agricultural charities that compliment the theme of the ball, but this year we wanted to support a more student orientated organisation. So we have chosen the Charlie Waller Memorial Trust (http://www.cwmt.org.uk/), which is a mental health charity that is aimed towards support for young people. They aim to raise awareness of the taboo subject of mental health and aim to banish the stigmas attached to them. This year the St Andrews student counselling and support services expanded due to increasing demand, moving from the Union to a larger building on the scores so we thought it was a particularly relevant cause.

In a nutshell and for the freshers, what is WB?
WB is one of the largest and most anticipated student events of the year, hosting more than 1000 people from St Andrews and a large proportion from other universities at Kinkell Byre. It is a black tie event with a twist- everyone wears welly boots. There is a sit down dinner followed by an after party. We have two bands followed by DJs, food stalls and more fun surprises to be revealed on the night.

What are your top tips for dressing up your wellies?
Go for a cocktail dress instead of a maxi dress to avoid muddy disasters. Thick welly socks are a must and good for storing valuables. Bring money for coat check, food and drink. Also remember ID!

After party ticket sales are 5th-7th November 1-5pm outside the Vic. Don’t miss out!

Check out the website for more tantalising sneak peaks of what is to come – http://www.wellyballstandrews.com

All Photos courtesy of Welly Ball