Promising new management team for Byre Theatre

There are exciting times ahead.

It has been announced that Michael Downes, the university’s director of music, is going to be the artistic director of the Byre Theatre when it reopens. Stephen Sinclair, the former operations manager, will become the general manager. This is a promising new start for the theatre, which is soon to open it’s doors once more.

Both men have actively been encouraging the theatre to reopen since its closure last January.
Sinclair will take charge of its day-to-day running, looking to bring a variety of diverse shows to the theatre. Both new and old companies will be encouraged to return, in the hope that it will be restored to what it once was.

Downes has hopes of the theatre becoming nationally renowned. He looks forward to bringing it back to life and back to what people knew it as.

Downes has been appointed for three years, during which he hopes to bring the best professional and student drama to the stage. He also wants to extend the theatre’s offering in different areas of performance including film, dance, opera and music.

The first performance to be shown in the newly reopened theatre will be ‘Jack and the Beanstalk’, from November until February. There is no doubt that this is a very exciting time for the Byre Theatre, and for all those who will be involved with it.

Image courtesy of glasgowtheatreblog.com