Review: Waves of Excitement

The Gondoliers, Gilbert and Sullivan’s acclaimed Savoy opera, opened Thursday evening in Younger Hall.  The two-act relays the story of two brothers, Giuseppe and Marco (played by Alexander Levine and […]

The Gondoliers, Gilbert and Sullivan’s acclaimed Savoy opera, opened Thursday evening in Younger Hall.  The two-act relays the story of two brothers, Giuseppe and Marco (played by Alexander Levine and Laurie Slavin, respectively), who suddenly find that one brother is the heir to the throne of Barataria. Naturally, hilarity ensues, especially as the two have just been recently married (to Tessa, played by Emma Rogers, and Gianetta, played by Maddy Kearns)- despite the fact that one is already (unknowingly) wed to Casilda (Caroline Taylor), the daughter of the Duke and Duchess of Plaza-Toro (Ruaridh Maxwell and Elizabeth Wilson).

The director, Andrew Hoyland, is to be commended for his handle on such a large cast, with such extensive choreography. Likewise, the cast’s brilliant vocals, as well as the orchestra’s undeniable majesty, are a testament to the widespread talent of St Andrews students. In addition, the pastel costumes were reminiscent of spring-time, a welcome sight as we are nearing the end of the Scottish winter.

The placement of the audience on the balcony, with the stage seen from above, gave the impression of almost watching a puppet show. The opera transitioned from one beautifully staged tableau to the next, but the moments in between were at times slow-moving.

The second act was definitely the highlight of the performance. There was more attention to detail, it seemed, as the plot thickened and the opera drew to a close. The final few moments were definitely the best- though it’s impossible to say any more without giving away and ruining the plot.

Though at times the staging was crowded and almost distracting, honorable mention should be given to Kearns, Rogers, Taylor, Levine and Slavin, for their outstanding singing abilities. All in all, it was a great show.

Image