What to Wear: DONT WALK

When it comes to dressing for DONT WALK there are two appropriate words: edge and funk.  Whoever can achieve a combination of the two will be awarded applause and cheers […]

When it comes to dressing for DONT WALK there are two appropriate words: edge and funk.  Whoever can achieve a combination of the two will be awarded applause and cheers of shirtless models. Or vice versa. Who cares, it’s all about being cool, man.

Word on the street is Dervish Turkish Restaurant and Takeaway is catering this year’s DONT WALK fashion show. So the question now is, what outfit will stand strong when you are drunkenly scoffing down spicy chicken pizza at 1AM?

For the ladies, statement jewellery is an easy way to get an edgy or funky note into a look. Cuffs are especially cool (conveniently covering up that less than cute wristband), and statement necklaces still do the trick.

The recent trend of pastels is interesting. Pastels are thought of as belonging in a baby’s nursery or on macaroons or a polo shirt. None of these things scream DW, but pastel items can be toughened up with edgy extras and slightly moussed hair. Consider this a dare to wear a pastel colour to DW. Do it for the thrill.

Image

Other ideas: black leather, especially in the form of a jacket or pants. Metallic, shiny, and sheer items are all interesting and fun. Pointy-toed heels with a little toe cleavage look great. Ditch the round toed Minnie Mouse shoes on this night. The only person who thought Minnie was cool was Mickey and maybe Walt Disney if he was in a good mood.

If all else fails, black on black is a quick and easy look that says you can’t be bothered with mixing and matching colours. Bam zoom, we have a winner!

For the face: the look at Altuzarra’s Spring 2013 runway is refreshing. The modern royal blue eyeliner with a natural coloured lip is edgy and a little funky without being over the top. 

Gentlemen, you stylish and dashing gents, you: here is an opportunity for you to impress with loud accents. Hats, spunky bow ties and sunglasses are all welcome.

Word to the wise: no one will catch you giving models the once over if you are wearing shades.

Why not wear a pair of bright briefs or boxers that somehow magically make an appearance while you are grooving at the after party? On any other night this might be skanky, but not tonight, tonight is DONT WALK and no one follows any rules of fashionable propriety.

Rules aren’t cool

Colourful, trendier jackets are good to go, as are slim fit trousers. And if you’re a traditional suit guy—why not loosen your necktie and throw in a loud pocket square.

As far as grooming goes: scruff is a-okay if that’s your thing. If you have body in your hair, let it flow. Put on some cologne and bear those pearly whites. It ain’t no serious thing. 

Images © style.com, tumblr, stylemetropolis.com