Lewis Hamilton breaks up with McLaren

In 1995 when Lewis Hamilton, at the age of ten, informed Ron Dennis the now executive chairman at McLaren, that one day he would race for the Formula 1 giants, […]

In 1995 when Lewis Hamilton, at the age of ten, informed Ron Dennis the now executive chairman at McLaren, that one day he would race for the Formula 1 giants, it’s doubtful he also imagined his departure. And yet, at the end of this season, McLaren and Hamilton, now 27, will end their 14-year love affair. Disillusioned with life at McLaren, and facing seemingly weekly controversies surrounding ‘twitpics’ and fall-outs with his teammate Jenson Button, Hamilton has taken on a new challenge at German team Mercedes. Many have questioned the rationale behind the move; McLaren sit third in the Constructors Championship with 284 points, whilst Mercedes languish in fifth, with 136 points. Hamilton and his partner Button have amassed eleven podium finishes (more than any other team) whilst Mercedes have secured a miserly three. He denies any motive for moving from the team other than for a fresh start and a new challenge. However, with the performance issues shown by Mercedes this year, questions must continue to be asked; what drove Lewis Hamilton and McLaren to part ways?

Mercedes’ development and McLaren’s woes

For the less cynical, it may be clear that the 2008 World Champion has, as he claims, moved for racing reasons. Despite McLaren beginning the 2012 season with the fastest car, a series of races marred by grip-deprived tyres and problems with suspension have left McLaren trailing in the wake of the more consistent Ferrari and Red Bull cars. Mercedes have consistently knocked on the door of success – 4th in the Constructors Championship last year, and destined for the same position at the end of this season. But despite their failure to break the barrier preventing them from joining the big three, the Mercedes team and their team Principal, Ross Brawn, are convinced they will continue to improve and become more competitive, especially with Hamilton in their ranks. Brawn said, “I believe that the combination of Lewis and Nico will be the most dynamic and exciting pairing on the grid next year and I am looking forward to what we can achieve together.” It may seem to some, then, that any other explanation is simply media-induced hype due to Hamilton’s controversial personality.

Mercedes Team Princicple Ross Brown

McLaren’s Management and Media Mishaps

Hamilton’s impulsive, aggressive and exciting driving style has long been known to mirror his personal life. Whether it’s bust-ups with teammates, other drivers or race stewards, Hamilton’s name rarely avoids the headlines for long. Clearly disgruntled at another lacklustre season – he hasn’t finished inside the top 3 since the 2008 season – Hamilton turned his frustrations on his own team. He first hit the headlines in Belgium: following a poor qualifying session, he tweeted a picture of his and teammate Button’s telemetry sheets, adding the caption “Jenson has the new rear wing on, I have the old… We voted to change, didn’t work out. I lose 0.4 tenths (of a second) just on the straight”. Tensions have since continued to rise between the two teammates, who until this season, had seemingly got on well. Hamilton, again venting his frustrations on Twitter, accused Button of disrespect by ‘unfollowing’ him. As things transpired, 32-year old Button never followed his teammate, which led to yet another apology from Hamilton. It has also long been known that McLaren ask much more of their drivers in terms of PR days and sponsors events than any other F1 team. Hamilton, becoming increasingly desperate to avoid the headlines, may appreciate fewer media-frenzied events at Mercedes.

Money Talks

Despite vehement denial from the 2008 world champion and Ross Brawn, some have suggested that money played a pivotal role in coaxing the driver to move. McLaren reportedly tabled a recession-reduced contract, stating that they could not continue to pay the near £9.5 million that they had negotiated with Hamilton before the global financial crash. The Daily Mail reported that Mercedes had offered the driver £60 million over a three-year period, a claim both Hamilton and Mercedes have insisted isn’t true. Regardless of Mercedes’ deal, having to accept a reduced contract may have proved to be the final nail in the McLaren coffin.

McLaren’s prodigal son has left his Formula 1 home. Explanations for his departure from the McLaren garage remain unclear. Hamilton insists there is no bad blood with the team or his teammate, nor that money played a deciding role. Perhaps he really did simply jump at the chance of a new challenge, or perhaps his bad press this year had a significant role. As eager spectators, all we can do is follow Hamilton’s new story with intrigue; only a little disappointed he hasn’t been paired with one of the most controversial names of all, Michael Schumacher. 

References and images:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/motorhead-just-hamilton-playing-094813282.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/19755236

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/formula-1/mclaren/news/hamilton-close-to-mercedes-move_45117.html