Review: STAR roller disco

A pair of roller-skates, retro music and multitudes of ‘going splat’ on the floor are all you need to spice up a Sunday night. This was how STAR decided to […]

A pair of roller-skates, retro music and multitudes of ‘going splat’ on the floor are all you need to spice up a Sunday night. This was how STAR decided to kick-off their year of student broadcasting: with a roller disco party.

Students from all years tugged on the luminous blue, old school skates, lacing them up impatiently before taking the plunge. A few tentative glides later they were either off or arms were flailing in an effort to stay upright. But it wasn’t long before a ring of skaters was whizzing round Venue 1. The bubbling animation in their faces was as clear as ever, even at the risk of going home with a very sore bum.

Endless cheesy classics blared out from the DJ, amplifying the spirit of the night and ensuring there were still some dance moves (minus legs) filling the room. Of course, LOTS of ABBA was essential for keeping the flow going. Star-shaped lights flashed and flared over the skaters’ heads, highlighting the 80s costumes some people had made the effort to don. And in terms of decor, two huge projector screens with images of skateboarders and snowy slopes added to the lively theme.

Some showed off their moves with twirly jumps and low leg-bending, though some weren’t quite so graceful. As it drew on, the evening proved exceedingly popular, with such a turnout that the queue curved right round into the bar, the crowd jostling as they waited their turn. Clearly STAR caught the attention of many students, bringing the cheese back to St Andrews and putting together somethin’ special.

Last night in Venue 1 was basically a chance for everyone to tick off another activity on their ‘100-things-to-do-before-you-die’ list. But it was also an opportunity for them to have a somewhat comical time, whooshing about whilst spring-boarding STAR into another year of chats, music and originality.