A beautiful library at last?

As some of the more keen bean St Andrews academics may have already noticed, our library has had a drastic make-over. To all the rest of you: get to work […]

As some of the more keen bean St Andrews academics may have already noticed, our library has had a drastic make-over. To all the rest of you: get to work – it’s time to appreciate your new study-habitat. Here’sThe Stand‘s improvement update.

Levels 3 and 4 are now open to students, however, some work is still being completed. There is more study space (260 more seats, to be exact), improved heating and ventilation (finally) and additional computers. Whether you loved or hated the change to the library’s bottom floors, the look is here to stay.

You might also notice the giant Orwellian ‘Silence’ signs dotted around the upper levels. As impressive as these are, the library could surely have found a less obtrusive way of telling us to stop slurping coffee.

But even more exciting has been the development of a new library. Martyr’s Church, a previously disused church on North Street, has been bought by the University in order to make it home to special collections.

A spokesperson for the University described it as: “an inspiring location, fitting for the display and research consultation of the rare and unique books and papers, which constitute the University’s treasured intellectual heritage.”

It has been reported that other potential uses for the site were: pub, restaurant, and/or nightclub. Second year, Alasdair Clakson commented, “Why can’t we have a pub in the library? They could order loads of newspapers and magazines, promote unusual books and sell quality beer. What more could you want?”

Until that day comes, go forth into your newly developed library to use its free wifi while you wait for Orange/BT/O2 to connect your flat.