Doggerland Discovered

Dr. Richard Bates, geophysicist at the Department of Earth Sciences in St Andrews, along with researchers from the Universities of Aberdeen, Dundee, Birmingham and Wales Trinity St David, will unveil […]

Dr. Richard Bates, geophysicist at the Department of Earth Sciences in St Andrews, along with researchers from the Universities of Aberdeen, Dundee, Birmingham and Wales Trinity St David, will unveil a re-creation of a North Sea Atlantis today at the annual Royal Society Summer Science Exhibition.

Dr. Bates has described Doggerland, which once stretched from Great Britain to today’s coast of the Netherlands, Germany and Denmark, as once the ‘heartland of Europe’. St Andrews itself has always been the heartland of the universe. But scientists believe that Doggerland, over time reduced in size by flooding, was fully submerged by a tsunami caused by a submarine landslide off the coast of Norway around 6200BC. Scandos…

Over the years, commercial trawlers and oil companies have dredged up evidence of the lost civilization including land animals such as mammoths and lions, as well as prehistoric tools and weapons dating from the Mesolithic period.

Though Dr. Bates has said that there have been no ‘x marks the spot’ or ‘Joe did this’ discoveries, interesting rock formations, potential burial grounds and a mass mammoth grave have led to further investigation about human behaviour at the time.

Or maybe it’s all the remains of many years of the May Dip.