Sean Connery and Principal Richardson Ring-a-ding-ding at NYSE

In honour of St Andrews’ 600th Anniversary, Louise Richardson and Sir Sean Connery were invited to ring the Opening Bell on the New York Stock Exchange this morning. Last night, […]

In honour of St Andrews’ 600th Anniversary, Louise Richardson and Sir Sean Connery were invited to ring the Opening Bell on the New York Stock Exchange this morning.

Last night, the dynamic duo attended the New York premiere of Ever to Excel, a film that celebrates 600 years of St Andrews awesomeness, narrated by Sir (Sexy) Connery. It was screened during a private fundraiser at the Institute Alliance Francaise.

The NYSE have been inviting prestigious guests to ring the bell since 1995; Connery and Richardson’s predecessors have included heroes such as Nelson Mandela, Bono, Julianne Moore, Estee Lauder Breast Cancer campaign team and our personal favourite, Darth Vader and a handful of excitable Storm Troopers.

The bell was rung live on CNBC at 14:30 local time (09:30 in New York); around 100 million people are estimated to have watched it worldwide.

Richardson described the bell-ringing as a huge honour both personally and for the university. She also hoped it would bring good fortune and funds to both the NYSE that day, and St Andrews in the future.  So far, the 600th Anniversary campaign has raised £30 million of the £100 million they hope to raise by the end of celebrations – The Stand’s guess is Sir Connery hits the jackpot.