As They Liked It: St Andrews Shakespearean production heads to Stratford

This year’s student production of Shakespeare’s ​As You Like It ​will be performed again this summer at Stratford-Upon-Avon, the home of the Bard and the Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC).  The production first hit […]

This year’s student production of Shakespeare’s ​As You Like It ​will be performed again this summer at Stratford-Upon-Avon, the home of the Bard and the Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC).  The production first hit St Andrews stages in February 2012 to sold out audiences at the Byre and has now been chosen to represent Scotland as part of the Dell Festival.

Shows across the UK were reviewed by the RSC for the chance to perform at Stratford, and the cast of As You Like It will be joined by professional companies from all over the globe for the World Shakespeare Festival 2012.

Hannah Boland’s production will be staged at the Dell (the RSC’s open air theatre) on the 17th of June and Mermaids (who are funding the production) are encouraging St Andrews students to ‘go down and check it out’ this summer. Boland told The Stand, “I’m thrilled to be taking my cast to Stratford, but especially happy to just be doing this show again. It was a pleasure to stage, and it’s a pleasure to revive it.”

Paul Obi, who plays Orlando, echoed his director, “I know it sounds pathetic but, as fantastic as this opportunity is, I’m mostly happy just to be able to once again be part of this production and I genuinely couldn’t be more excited. Well, I could, but then I’d be incontinent.”

As You Like It ​ was also reviewed and highly praised by The Stand (generally considered to be a better judge of theatre than the RSC). Read the review here.