Association President Candidate: Chloe Hill

The Stand has interviewed every sabbatical candidate. If you have any other questions that you’d like us to ask them just email us.   Why do you feel that Association […]

The Stand has interviewed every sabbatical candidate. If you have any other questions that you’d like us to ask them just email us.

Why do you feel that Association President is important to St Andrews?

The position of Association President is a vital link between the university management and the students. They also determine how the university is represented on a national scale and in the wider St Andrews community. Not only this but they are someone we can go to with our queries, concerns and ideas.

What do you believe makes you especially qualified for the job?

I think I am the best person for the job because of my extensive experience dealing with the university and local community as Community Relations officer this year. This has given me inside knowledge of how the system works and the problems with it. I have also proved capable of effecting change through campaigning on a range of issues including student fees and accommodation.

What are the three main principles that you plan to follow during your year as a Sabb?

An affordable student experience.

A working relationship with the university.

Transparency and accountability in everything I do.

If you could make a major change in St Andrews today what would it be?

Cheaper, more accessible accommodation! But major changes aren’t always feasible. To work towards this I will be giving 10% of my salary to a living expenses bursary. Instead of the university’s ‘fill the gap’ policy, I would push for a fixed number of university accommodation rooms for returning students. I would also represent the students on the St Andrews Commission for Affordable Housing, a research group investigating how much cheap housing is actually needed in St Andrews.

Any additional comment or message you’d like us to pass on?

If you want to know more, go to the website or come say hello whenever you see me around!

(To see all the candidates, click here)

Condiment: Sambal (it’s an Indonesian chilli sauce, I’m addicted)

Pokemon: Sandshrew!