Inside London Fashion Weekend SS2012

Last Thursday not only marked the end of London Fashion Week but the start of London Fashion Weekend. Opening its doors the public, the fashion world gave us plebs a […]

Last Thursday not only marked the end of London Fashion Week but the start of London Fashion Weekend. Opening its doors the public, the fashion world gave us plebs a glimpse at the coming trends of Spring Summer 2012 whilst indulging everyone in some retail therapy. Somerset House played host to some of Britain’s well-known brands for four days allowing insight into one of the world’s largest industries.

=

LFWend brought together many up-and-coming designers whilst also featuring some of the more familiar brands. Plus, catwalk shows from the likes of Holly Fulton and Antipodium, as well as talks from those inside the industry (like the make up artists from Elizabeth Arden) allowed every body to actively participate throughout the weekend.

Before the catwalk shows, pop-up designer boutiques offered the opportunity to shop and buy the collections. And when I say shop… I mean shop. Not only on offer were the clothes featured on the catwalk from the likes of Aqua, By Malene Birger and Jaeger but also collections from Vivienne Westwood, Dolce and Gabanna and Twenty8Twelve. A further vintage boutique offered reclaimed and recycled designer clothing with an added bonus of a tea lounge and cupcake bar on a balcony over looking the River Thames. The moment could only have been heightened by the fact that all clothes sold were at a discount with some places reaching up to 70% off!! Is it little wonder a faint smell of burning credit cards wafted around the rooms?

In addition to all of the clothes, we cannot forget the accessories. There was everything you need to take you into summer – from silk scarves to pearl earrings, sunglasses to leather satchels – all still with their 70% discount. Beautifully crafted jewelry from Yunis and Eliza was an instant hit, with their quirky and individual designers going against the conventions of flowers and pearls usually seen in the build up to summer. Retro Sun bought lust worthy pairs of sunglasses ranging from Ray Ban aviators to Gucci cat-eye glasses. There was something for everyone to be had, and believe me, they had it.

Whilst attending the catwalk shows I noted that the two key trends that were focused heavily on were ‘Miss Primrose’ and ‘Game On’. Taking inspiration from the Louis Vuitton SS2012 campaign, Miss Primrose showcased the much needed antithesis to the bold color blocking usually found in S/S collections and provides a refreshing palette of sorbet and pastel colors. Whilst incredibly lady-like with collars and cardigans, the shorter hemlines added a flirtatious kick synonymous with the summer months. Game On typically indulged the classic Sports Luxe look but had a slight nod towards tennis whites with crisp short dresses and tailored shorts. The lighter side of the look allowed for an 80s twist with a glamourous kick. Think MC Hammer… but hot.

Also the Holly Fulton show

This is definitely a thoroughly recommended event with two shows a year, one in February and one in September. Any budding fashionista would feel more than at home here:  the day not only allows for an indulgence in fashion-culture and shopping, but also gives one a great idea of how the industry works.