Southampton students organise donation point for refugee crisis on campus

The Southampton community has rallied in support of the refugees displaced by conflict in the Middle East and Africa, and now University students can get involved as well. Thousands of […]

The Southampton community has rallied in support of the refugees displaced by conflict in the Middle East and Africa, and now University students can get involved as well.

Donations have poured in on campus

Thousands of people have been forced to flee war-torn countries in search of a safe place to live, often risking their lives on long and dangerous journies.

After the heartbreaking image emerged of Aylan Kurdi, a three year old Syrian refugee who drowned after his boat capsized, public and government support for the plight of the refugees has exploded.

This has recently been exemplified by a group called ‘Southampton Action – People To People Solidarity’, who have been coordinating collections of donations for refugees in the Southampton area.

Men’s clothing, waterproofs and camping equipment are urgently needed

They have already collected donations in St. Denys’ Church in Southampton over the weekend, with a trip to Calais planned for September 20th. The University of Southampton has now also provided a place for donations, students able to drop off items in Building 58 Room 1035.

Organiser Bekk Escott told the Soton Tab “We wanted to make a real difference in the lives of the refugees in Calais and further across Europe, so we set up drop off locations for donations from the public across Southampton.”

Canned foods can also be donated

“We are in a position were we can help these people who are in desperate need, and show the high level of compassion in our community.”

“Room 1035 in building 58 will be a main location as we are open every day.”

Information for the donation point on Highfield Campus can be found here.

More details on community events are available on the group’s Facebook page which can be found here, including planned relief trips to Greece, Hungary and more.

All donations are appreciated, but organisers have stressed that some items are needed more ugently, such as men’s clothes, waterproof clothing and camping equipment.