One Month Later… Did Our Resolutions Last?

The ‘New Year New Me’ brigade have all but disappeared from our Facebook feeds. For many, January is a month of broken promises and guilty pleasures, but was this the […]

The ‘New Year New Me’ brigade have all but disappeared from our Facebook feeds. For many, January is a month of broken promises and guilty pleasures, but was this the case for Southampton students?

Over the course of the past few years, I have fallen into a pattern of disappointing myself immensely during January.

“I can eat healthily next year”, I say through a mouthful of Big Mac. “This counts as exercise right?” I tell myself, stretching for the TV remote.

This is the case for many others too, with the gym becoming noticeably quieter over the course of the month.

Despite the overwhelming odds stacked against us, we persist with New Year’s resolutions in the hope that one year they’ll stick, and we’ll be one step closer to becoming a modern-day Mother Theresa.

The Soton Tab hit Highfield Campus to ask students what they had resolved to achieve this year, and whether or not they were still on course to meet these targets. The responses were varied…

We’ll track him down when results are out to confirm this one, the guy in the background doesn’t look convinced.

As long as he still finds the time to read Soton Tab articles, we’re all for this one.

One of our more camera shy participants said:

Try not to get really, really, REALLY drunk this semester. Still going.

Perhaps they didn’t want the world to see those dark circles…..

Paying it forward, his good karma will be through the roof if he keeps this one up.

Judging by his current attire, he’s not lying.

This one covers all angles, too much effort for my liking but deserves respect nonetheless.

Another camera shy candidate said:

See more of my friends from home. Sadly I’m failing so far – Ashley, Second Year

Joint resolutions are risky, either you’re both motivated enough to keep up, or you take the other one down with you.

Slightly ambitious? That’s for the readers to decide.

So the the overall feeling amongst students is a positive one, with the majority of those asked still going strong with their resolutions.

It is often said that the first few weeks are the hardest, so if they’ve come this far it’s a promising sign.

If you didn’t bother making a resolution, or you were one of those who broke it within a week, don’t be disheartened. Don’t conform to society’s values, make a ‘February resolution’ instead.

It’s never too late to change something you don’t like, so give it a try. You never know, you might not need to bother come next year.

Did you make a resolution which our roving reporters missed? Have you lasted through January? Let us know in the comments below.