WHATSOC? American Football!

Enjoy watching the NFL but never had the opportunity to try it out for yourself? The Stags could be just the club for you! The Soton Tab brings you an exclusive interview with […]

Enjoy watching the NFL but never had the opportunity to try it out for yourself? The Stags could be just the club for you! The Soton Tab brings you an exclusive interview with Sam Forbes, President of The Stags American Football Team.

The Stags team in their match against Pompey last weekend (Credit: Jason Brown Photography)

When did you join The Stags and what aspect do you enjoy the most?

I joined in my first year, I’d played American Football for a local club over the summer and missed it too much to not be playing for The Stags. I enjoy every aspect of the club… apart from Thursday mornings!

Some of The Stags lads pulling in the crowds on the Redbrick

What have been some of your personal highlights?

Playing in a national final at John Charles Stadium in Leeds in my second season was great. More recently, beating Pompey 26-18 and putting up the first varsity points of the year.

Glen Toonga leaving some Pompey players for dust (Credit: Jason Brown Photography)

Are you recruiting new members and is previous experience important?

We’re always recruiting! Just turn up to a regular training session at 7.30pm on a Tuesday or Thursday at Wide Lane and we’ll get you started. The majority of Stags had never watched a game before they joined the club. We have ridiculously experienced coaching staff that will get you in a position you’ll be able to play in.

What are the traits of a good American Football player?

There are no set physical traits for a good player. Our biggest guy is 6’9 (you may have seen him working the Jesters door) and our smallest is 5’7. This game is about attitude, drive and heart.

What are your socials like?

Wednesday is normally a certain Bevois establishment. Sundays we chill as a team in Wild Lime watching the NFL. Post-game this can escalate into a Parfait trip… Stags love fun.

A few of the Stags and Vixens at the AU ‘Around the World’ social

Any weird traditions?

We have a tradition of beating Solent. The Stags used to be a joint club made from Southampton and Solent players. When American Football became part of BUCS we became single institution teams. They bought a cup for the two Southampton teams to play for thinking Solent would keep it as they had the majority of the athletes and invited everyone to their “victory party”. They’ve never won that cup…

Jesters or Sobar?

This is a trick question right? Jesters! Sobar isn’t a place.

For more information visit the American Football Facebook page here.